• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Installing Springs on Wednesday (5/16)

batman

Surrounded by 10 points
Feb 21, 2005
Rotzs99 said:
Ive decided i need to install my springs before i head down to WFC10 and wednesday looks like a good time for me. Anyone have any tips for me or want to come help? I dont really know much about the install, just gonna wing it i think.

Front springs get a spring compressor and when putting the fronts back in just place them in the a arm and jack it up..rears are a cake walk..jack it pump from the center of the rear end and put to jack stands on the frame rails..drop rear and take out the springs

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
RD SNAKE said:
I got spring install's down to a hour for the front and rear. If you guys don't get them tonight, you are more then welcome to do them at my house. I also have a air compresser which makes thing so much easier.

-Kevin

Cliffs Notes at end:

Thanks Kev, I (and Chris) really needed you last night. I think i learned never to install something at someone elses house when you really dont know what youre doing.

After that hellish trip to find the frickin locking nut key we ran into so many more problems. got the calipers, tie rod, control arms off/down, but we couldnt get the new springs in. The first spring compressor wouldnt work unless we hacked off a big part of the threadding but the thing is made of frickin titanium and killed two sawzall blades. Headed off to 24hr Autozone to get another spring compressor, that one was akward as hell. We ended up just using brute force to shove the spring in there. (By that time it was 4am and this whole deal was started at 3:30 AM. THATS MORE THAN 12 HOURS). Then the screw for the top of the strut fell somewhere in my engine and is IMPOSSIBLE to find, no doubt lost to my engine gremlins. Take ANOTHER trip to 24 Autozone they do NOT have something that will fit. Got home at 6 am for 3 hours of sleep cuz I had to leave at 9 to get to my sister's house in Indianapolis. My dad was pissed, Chris's mom will be pissed, and im ready to sell it.

Cliffs Notes; The damn car is sitting at Chris's house with two wheels off, one spring in, and a missing strut nut. FUUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!!!!

....I need a beer :alcoholic

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
Took me 2 1/2 hours alone but I had a air and Spring compressor.

I dont know how anyone can do IRS springs in 1 hour. Thats nuts! That person should be working in a suspension shop cuz book time is 4+

Sorry to hear about the bad install. My buddy in KY that is expericed with mods had a hell of a time on a fox solid. Took him 8 solid hours with 3 people helping. It shouldnt be so hard or take so long. Sometimes its just a mother fucker :mad:

If you need any advice since I have the same year and did my personally I Will try and help as much as I can.

IRS isnt as easy as people think. Its not as easy as a soild!

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
99 Stangbanger said:
Took me 2 1/2 hours alone but I had a air and Spring compressor.

I dont know how anyone can do IRS springs in 1 hour. Thats nuts! That person should be working in a suspension shop cuz book time is 4+

Sorry to hear about the bad install. My buddy in KY that is expericed with mods had a hell of a time on a fox solid. Took him 8 solid hours with 3 people helping. It shouldnt be so hard or take so long. Sometimes its just a mother fucker :mad:

If you need any advice since I have the same year and did my personally I Will try and help as much as I can.

IRS isnt as easy as people think. Its not as easy as a soild!

I helped J.D...With the guide/help of Kevin(RD SNAKE) we got the rear done in about 2 hours. Being it was our first time I think the next time around would be a lot shorter. I've got the put the Isolators back in my Cobra. When I get around to doing that I might do a write up. The fronts are just about as hard because of the number of things you have to disconnect.

green99_svt

Regular
Oct 10, 2005
a spring compressor is not needed for front springs. leave the ball joint connceted and unbolt the arm at the bushings the arm will swing down and fully release the spring. place new spring in and jack back into place. you need to unbolt the tie rods from the knuckles. and the rack from the rack mounts. the rotors. calipers and struts can all stay on the car. like posted earlier should take around an hour for the fronts if you take your time.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
CobraChris08 said:
I helped J.D...With the guide/help of Kevin(RD SNAKE) we got the rear done in about 2 hours. Being it was our first time I think the next time around would be a lot shorter. I've got the put the Isolators back in my Cobra. When I get around to doing that I might do a write up. The fronts are just about as hard because of the number of things you have to disconnect.

Glad he had some help. They look like a pc of cake but they can turn out to be a fricken knuckle busting nightmare.

A write up would be cool :biggthump

It dont matter how long it takes you guys it just matters that its done right and you guys got great experience while doing it. Thats the way we all learn :D Post op some pics of the new stance when you guys GET R DONE!

JD, did you know springs add 25 extra RWHP :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info