• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Bad Coil Pack possible cause of Raptor shift light lighting early

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Guys, it may be too soon to say for sure but I wanted to throw this out here in case anyone else had extra info or was having this same issue.

My Raptor shift light started lighting at 3,000 rpms when I would leave home with the car cold. It is set for 6,000. Running it up to 4,000 rpms once or a few times would usually return the shift light to proper operation. I've been asking around but no one I talked with [including Rick from Raptor] had heard of this happening.

Recently I blew a plug out of my passenger head. It took the coil pack out with it. Shelby Guy repaired the head with an insert and I bought a set of used coil packs from Matt [DSG03COBRA]. He had 1 bad coil pack and bought a new set. I figured I bought 7 good ones and 1 bad one.

Matt and I started talking and I discovered that he, too, had the problem of the Raptor lighting early. After discussing this, our thinking is that a bad coil pack or problems with spark plug blow by affecting my coil pack may be what was responsible for the Raptor shift lights lighting early. It's only been a few days but so far with the replacement coil packs both of our shift lights are once again working properly. I have not had the early lighting at all since I swapped the coil pack [and put in new plugs].

Has anyone else experienced their Raptors lighting early and if so, what did you find out?

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
1 week so far and I have yet to see the Raptor shift light go on early... :biggthump

I can definitely see the shift light being a telltale sign of issues with the coil packs. Does the Raptor just read signals from a single coil pack, or does it read from an entire bank of them?

I wonder what the stock light reads off of too. With where my light is mounted, I can't really see the stock light, so I don't know if that was going off too, but you'd expect it to if it reads the same way as the Raptor... :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info