• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Anyone Considering RWTD's Killler Chiller?

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
01GTvert said:
Just wondering if you guys have been following this thread over at modfords. Sounds like a great idea. It's definatly not a new concept. The L guys have had this option and I know a couple L67 GTPs/GSs in the Chicagoland area have this type of mod done. Anyone considering this for their Termie or KB 4.6Ls?

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...vailable-and-special-intro-pricing-77397.html

I really don't think it's going to be a big thing. The kits seem really pricey and the install seems like you have to cut out your bumper. Which to some seems like a big deal.

I mean I do think it will lower IAT2 temps but I'm not sure if you have to run the ac all the time or is it like a track only type thing, meaning you have to swtich tunes then turn the ac on etc...Not sure if it will be worth it if you can only run it once in awhile like a nitrous setup etc...

Also I'm not wondering if the poeople who really need this, even if they have ac anymore..Im glad I kept mine!

Kevin

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
I think it's a great idea and the concept is very cool (pun intended :p ) . The only thing that I don't like is that the A/C has to be on for the killer chiller to be on, which kinda sucks. Your tune can disable the A/C under WOT so at least you won't be down on power when running with it on. You can have the A/C on without the killer chiller as well so it's not being used all the time, but still... Also, since it runs off the stock A/C it makes me nervous about all the water/condensation dripping all over the track. :nono:

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Scott, SamBandit, was originally going to be a distributor for this system and was involved in some initial testing of it out here in Colorado. Last time I spoke with him at his shop he said that the gains were nowhere near impressive and certainly didn't justify the hefty pricetag.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
DSG03COBRA said:
I think it's a great idea and the concept is very cool (pun intended :p ) . The only thing that I don't like is that the A/C has to be on for the killer chiller to be on, which kinda sucks. Your tune can disable the A/C under WOT so at least you won't be down on power when running with it on. You can have the A/C on without the killer chiller as well so it's not being used all the time, but still... Also, since it runs off the stock A/C it makes me nervous about all the water/condensation dripping all over the track. :nono:

All factory tunes turn the ac off under wide open throttle. I never thought about the condensation on the track, glad you picked up on that..I'm sure RWTD doesn't state that when you buy a kit! :rolleyes:

kevin

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I've spoken to RWTD about this awhile back and asked them specifically about the condensation issue with regards to running this at the track. I forget the exact answer, but they indicated this was not an issue (that there was a solution incorporated into the product I believe).

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
gnxs said:
I've spoken to RWTD about this awhile back and asked them specifically about the condensation issue with regards to running this at the track. I forget the exact answer, but they indicated this was not an issue (that there was a solution incorporated into the product I believe).

I had posed the question to James and he said that proper insulation of all A/C lines would be required to try and prevent condensation. He didn't mention anything about a built in fix to prevent it though. :dunno:

"As with any system that super cools the IC system, such as an icebox or the KC, your IC lines are bound to "sweat", depending on weather conditions (the more humid outside it is the more it'll happen). If there is very little humidity in the air then you will not see much, if any at all. You can do multiple things to help prevent this, and of course properly insulating is the most important!"

oldmodman

Vehicular Antique
Feb 15, 2005
I have had a similar system on my 03 Cobra for a while now. It is made by DECO Labs just a few miles from my house. It has an AC coil mounted inside an aluminum intercooler fluid tank that is hidden behind the drivers side wheel well liner. It holds about a gallon of extra fluid and has AC lines running to it just like the Killer Chiller unit. The tank is completely insulated by a really well made quilted aluminum insulating blanket, it doesn't sweat at all. And I put water pipe insulating foam around all the chilled lines. Doesn't drip at all. When the outside air temp is 105f it keeps the intercooler fluid at 45f. And after a high speed run on the dry lakes of Southern California is rises to 95f. And this is a run of a little over one mile. I am getting the Killer Chiller also and am going to run them in series. I want to see if I can keep the intercooler fluid from getting over 70f. I may have to make a larger storage tank to be able to do it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info