• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Trans leak up through shifter

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
What would cause a trans to have enough pressure to push fluid up through the center of the shifter itself past the ball bearing. It did this on the aftermarket shifter and the stocker. I cant figure out why it does this. Its not a major leak by any means. Very slow and little at a time. I know the trans is not overfilled. This has been an issue for a while and I want to solve it.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
01Cobra said:
What would cause a trans to have enough pressure to push fluid up through the center of the shifter itself past the ball bearing. It did this on the aftermarket shifter and the stocker. I cant figure out why it does this. Its not a major leak by any means. Very slow and little at a time. I know the trans is not overfilled. This has been an issue for a while and I want to solve it.

This is a common thing I see at work.

When the leak happens, the fluid will absorb into any type of harness or wiring, and "soak" up until it reaches a point where it can release.

Clean everything up, and just keep monitoring it.

At Mercedes, on the newer ones, they have an issue with the electrical connector that plugs into the trans, it will leak, and soak up all the way to the drivers side floor.

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
ChromeCobra said:
Sorry I barely even read your post the first time :pat: , I thought you were saying it was leaking from the base of the shifter.

No it is not leaking at the base. Right up the center.
http://www.mustangupgrades.net/mustangshortthrowshifters/images/upr_short_throw.jpg

If you look at the picture it would be leaking up through the center not at the base. You cant toss RTV or sealent in there because that is where all the movement is. So im trying to figure out what is causing the trans fluid to go verticle.

ChromeCobra

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2005
01Cobra said:
No it is not leaking at the base. Right up the center.
http://www.mustangupgrades.net/mustangshortthrowshifters/images/upr_short_throw.jpg

If you look at the picture it would be leaking up through the center not at the base. You cant toss RTV or sealent in there because that is where all the movement is. So im trying to figure out what is causing the trans fluid to go verticle.
Im am aware that you cannot put RTV in the center, I just skimmed your first post and I thought you were saying it was leaking from the base....

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
ChromeCobra said:
Im am aware that you cannot put RTV in the center, I just skimmed your first post and I thought you were saying it was leaking from the base....

I was just saying for sake of saying I dont know what I can use to fix the leak. But there shouldnt be enough pressure in the trans to make fluid push up through the shifter itself.

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
dsc00540.jpg

dsc00544.jpg

There was more fluid in there but it suck back down through the shifter into the trans or out. But gives you an idea.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info