• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Ball Joint?

Unistang

Mar 24, 2007
Idk... why this would be the case with 36K, but I'm hearing a popping noise after I start the car every once in a while (sounds like someone threw a snowball at the car). I'm also hearing it right when i start rolling in the morning or making slow turns with the wheel cranked. IDK if the two sounds are related or if its coincidental... but i'd be kinda steamed if that was the case. Any suggestions?

THanks guys,

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Unistang said:
Idk... why this would be the case with 36K, but I'm hearing a popping noise after I start the car every once in a while (sounds like someone threw a snowball at the car). I'm also hearing it right when i start rolling in the morning or making slow turns with the wheel cranked. IDK if the two sounds are related or if its coincidental... but i'd be kinda steamed if that was the case. Any suggestions?

THanks guys,

Common problem wit the 03/04 cobras, It's the steering rack bushings. Get some derlin bushing from MM, they are only $20 or so...Problem fixed...

Kevin

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
The steering rack bushings are relatively easy to fix, although you will need to unbolt the steering shaft from it so that the rack will move away from the k-member enough to change them out. It's a very common problem on '02-04 Mustangs in general, not just the cobra. I've seen GT's and v6's make that creeking noise too.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
you'll also need to reset the toe because the bushings pull the rack closer to the k-member.

so you're sure its coming from the front? as you describe it, otherwise, it would seem to be from the rear, probably a half shaft or wheel bearing.

from the front, i would suspect the rack bushigns, and as our cars age, the antiroll bar bushings and/or end links.

bad ball joint sounds and feels much like a bad wheel bearing does sometimes.

Unistang

Mar 24, 2007
I'll start the car and hear a "pop" before I even start moving. Once in a while it does it while I'm cutting a sharp slow turn into a parking spot. Doesn't do it all the time... and I can't really pinpoint where its coming from because I can't replicate it every time. More of an annoyance than anything.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info