• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

When is it too much hp

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
I appreciate all the feedback about the headbolt thing I posted earlier but I want to know from you terminator guys when do we lose street ability with these cars? I say that in regards to running over 500-600+hp and spending every other month at the tire store. I had a set of Nitto 550 Extremes and got maybe 5 months out of them. A buddy recomended buying another set of rims and some slicks for "playing" and just have just a regular set for daily driving. Prior to the Whipple get installed I was putting down 443 at the wheels and 460lbs tq (Mustang dyno numbers) I figured post blower install with the accompanying mods is going to net me another 50-75+ at the wheels. For you guys running high hp numbers have you done to help keep these cars on the street?

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
Dragon03 said:
I appreciate all the feedback about the headbolt thing I posted earlier but I want to know from you terminator guys when do we lose street ability with these cars? I say that in regards to running over 500-600+hp and spending every other month at the tire store. I had a set of Nitto 550 Extremes and got maybe 5 months out of them. A buddy recomended buying another set of rims and some slicks for "playing" and just have just a regular set for daily driving. Prior to the Whipple get installed I was putting down 443 at the wheels and 460lbs tq (Mustang dyno numbers) I figured post blower install with the accompanying mods is going to net me another 50-75+ at the wheels. For you guys running high hp numbers have you done to help keep these cars on the street?

315 18" BFG drag radials. I go through two seats a year and another set of 17" drag radials a year for the track.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Dragon03 said:

"Streetability" is a relative term. You could ask 10 people and get 10 different opinions.

I will agree with Jeff and say that once you start modding these cars, they're not fun at all on regular radials and drag radials are a must. The only time I'm not wearing DR's is on a road trip back home to NJ.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
And you are exactly right and I knew that the minute I started the mods tires/traction was going to be an issue. I should have researched more on the Nittos before I got them most of the feedback I got on them was negative. I will take your advice and track down some BFG DR's. Horsepower is fun only as long as you can keep it planted...well for the most part the occasional burn out now and then is fun. :burnout: :burnout:

B

Boost12

Back when I first put my KB on the car I was only making 600whp through my 6 speed and I had a set of 275-45-17 inch MT ET street Radials and the thing would blow the tires off at 80 MPH :eek:h: My car was a little lighter in the back than most though so im sure that did not help any :cool:

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Anything from bolt-ons to bigger mods should have some DR's running out the back to keep things somewhat planted. Running street rad's in a vehicle with much more than 400rwhp is pointless IMO. Another thing to keep in mind is that your tires will only last as long as your foot keeps out of the gas. Reserve your power and tires for when you need it for for that occassional adrenaline rush. Other than that just drive somewhat normal and things will last a while.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Painter said:
Thats been my last 16 months, well said my friend

I learned from my previous muscle cars and friends who are two, three, four builds later with their cars ($$$$$)....

Granted each car is different, but you either slap on bolt ons, reliably run 12s and enjoy the car as it is. Or, you have the endless ambition and emotional drive to continously build and repair the car in hopes to feed the adreniline addiction, yet not financially blow your brains out or destroy your marriage/relationship.

Dave

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info