• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Running a Whipple

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
I am new to this forum but I need to get you input....I have a brand new Whipple that I am getting installed and the guy who does my work seems to think that running the Whipple at 17 lbs on my motor could run the risk of streching the head bolts and lifting the heads. I have gone thru forum after forum and guys are running 17lbs if not more. Has anyone heard of this happening I dont feel like ripping the heads off my car and installing ARP bolts unless I have to.

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
Dragon03 said:
I am new to this forum but I need to get you input....I have a brand new Whipple that I am getting installed and the guy who does my work seems to think that running the Whipple at 17 lbs on my motor could run the risk of streching the head bolts and lifting the heads. I have gone thru forum after forum and guys are running 17lbs if not more. Has anyone heard of this happening I dont feel like ripping the heads off my car and installing ARP bolts unless I have to.

17 pounds is a logical 93 octane choice for your car.
Make sure you do your fuel mods.
Have someone else install your blower.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
You will be just fine.

+1, I don't think I would let ol' boy touch my car either.

Mistake #1. Didn't know what the hell he was talking about.
Mistake #2. Tried to make it look like he knew what he was talking about.
Mistake #3. Possibly tried to scrape more money out of you by possibly trying to sell you more parts than needed.

I may be speculating on the 3rd one but that guy obviously doesn't have any firsthand experience with the Termies. Now a blower install, especially on the Cobras, is a piece of cake so I doubt even that guy would mess it up. The bigger question you got to ask yourself is that even though that guy may be able to put your blower on, do you still want him possibly messing something else up on a car that is obvious he knows little about?

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
rocket5979 said:
You will be just fine.

+1, I don't think I would let ol' boy touch my car either.

Mistake #1. Didn't know what the hell he was talking about.
Mistake #2. Tried to make it look like he knew what he was talking about.

+1

i think the whipple guys on here are running more than that and on a stock motor and head config...

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
Thanks for the feedback I have been using this guy for over 2 years now and he seems to know his business for the most part. I agree with you I dont think he knows the potential of a terminator engine and is just playing devils advocate about the risk of runnning high boost on a stock motor. I do have the 60lb injectors and the all the nessacary mods to back the whipple and the tuner knows his stuff and always gives me a safe and reliable tune.

mistic04vert

shoes you want!
Mar 21, 2007
car

hey buddy you should check out the guys at sutton hp in matteson, il---they do good work i take all of my mustangs there, i have a 92 lx calypso, 90 saleen--i sold that one, i also have a 04 mistic cobra.....

have a brand new Whipple that I am getting installed and the guy who does my work seems to think that running the Whipple at 17 lbs on my motor could run the risk of streching the head bolts and lifting the heads. I have gone thru forum after forum and guys are running 17lbs if not more. Has anyone heard of this happening I dont feel like ripping the heads off my car and installing ARP bolts unless I have to.[/QUOTE]

B

Boost12

Dragon03 said:
I have never even read anything about anyone lifting there heads. Im sure people have but its not a very comment thing.

I ran 25 PSI through a KB 2.4 and never had any trouble with the stock motor :headbang:

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
This guy isnt in Bloomingdale and like I said I think he is just being cautious and throwing everything out there just in case something did happen while I was out running around playing the motor does have 47K on it. I have done pulley swaps, ported blower, exhaust, sub frames, clutch, tunes the works thru him and have not been disappointed. When I first posted I said could lift the heads but in checking with you and researching all over the place I cannot find anything that indicates I need to be worried about it. The way I see it these motors have gone from failing at 3K miles to as someone indicated with stood 22-23 llbs if not more of boost. I am very protective of my car and wouldnt leave it under the wrench of someone who doesnt have a clue what they are doing. I have been to quite a few shops and for the most part can figure out who is full of B.S. if I didnt trust this guy he would not have my car right now. I appreciate all of you putting in your input I feel better now and cant wait to see what 17lbs of Whipple can do!!! :headbang:

Cobratom

Regular
May 14, 2004
Dragon03 said:

I'm running a Whipple at 17 Lbs and have been for almost two years now with all the supporting mods. No issues at all. Speed Inc did all the work and did a fantastic job.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Dragon03 said:
I just thought about this....running 17lbs on that Whipple do you think I am going to have issues pegging out the stock MAF? I am thinking I should look at going after a MAFia? What do you think...

Holy God!!! Yeah you will peg the hell out of it! Get at least a BA2400. You may even want to just step to a BA2800 right out of the box if you plan to make much more power beyond what you have planned for now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info