• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Replaced alternator, now the belt jumps off of crank pulley! HELP!

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
I re-installed my new alternator and now after cleaning everything up, the supercharger belt doesn't want to stay on! It jumps off the stock crank pulley and the idler right next to it by one rib, only to straighten itself out on all the other pulleys. What gives? I am pretty sure that the alternator replacement has something to do with it because there wasn't an issue before. Is there some sort of adjustment I can do to maybe move the alternator in (or out) a little more to make the belt go back into the grooves on the crank pulley. HELP!

-Mike

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
SonicBlur said:
Mine came with a pulley. It is the correct pulley (8-rib) but I am thinking of maybe the pulley isn't full seated, I have now idea how to tighten the alternator pulley without allowing the pulley itself to move, only the tightening nut.

-Mike

Mike, use a impact gun to "zip" the pulley on, Don't go crazy on the pulley or you'll never get it off. FYI, all of PA's alternators don't come with pulley, so im thinking your pulley is junk, What kind of alternator is it?

Also, if you still have the old alternator, just swap pulley's.

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
RD SNAKE said:
Mike, use a impact gun to "zip" the pulley on, Don't go crazy on the pulley or you'll never get it off. FYI, all of PA's alternators don't come with pulley, so im thinking your pulley is junk, What kind of alternator is it?

Also, if you still have the old alternator, just swap pulley's.
It's a stock re-manufactured alternator. I'm going to take it to work and try and put an impact to it.

-Mike

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
SonicBlur said:
It's a stock re-manufactured alternator. I'm going to take it to work and try and put an impact to it.

-Mike

Ok, just don't go crazy on it. If that don't work, mount up the alternator and see if it is see sitting too far out or too far in, If it is out to far, like i said try tighten it up, if it is in too far then try a spacer, I would also use some red locktite on the alternator pulley...let me know what happens....

Kevin

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
SonicBlur said:

-Mike

Most of those alternator pulley nuts are on loose enough that you could take a ratchet and socket and turn the nut while gripping the pulley itself with a leather glove. When I swapped from my 2.5" 8 rib to the 3.5" ASP 8 rib UD pulley for the phase 2 setup that is how I took mine off. Probably easier to get it back on with an impact to get the nut spinning on before the whole alt shaft spins.

Take a close look at your stocker alter pulley and the new one, there sometimes are slight differences from improper machining that will cause misalignment. Before torquing on anything I would take a close look at the old and the new alternators while off the car and make sure things are the same between them with regards to dimensions.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
NM, just realized that you had your stocker alt rewound so allot of my advice doesn't apply. Take the pulley off and take a few measurements of the seating area on the shaft of the alternator. Maybe something besides the pulley wan't pressed all the way on when they put it back together. Just don't start torquing on things when you don't know what the problem is yet otherwise if something is slightly messed up with it you could make it worse by hitting it with an impact. Take a looksee and check it out man. Measure twice, cut once.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
rocket5979 said:
Most of those alternator pulley nuts are on loose enough that you could take a ratchet and socket and turn the nut while gripping the pulley itself with a leather glove. When I swapped from my 2.5" 8 rib to the 3.5" ASP 8 rib UD pulley for the phase 2 setup that is how I took mine off. Probably easier to get it back on with an impact to get the nut spinning on before the whole alt shaft spins.

Take a close look at your stocker alter pulley and the new one, there sometimes are slight differences from improper machining that will cause misalignment. Before torquing on anything I would take a close look at the old and the new alternators while off the car and make sure things are the same between them with regards to dimensions.

I agree too, but this is also with FACTORY parts, which quailty control isn't USUALLY a problem. If it was a aftermarket part, it would be the first thing Id check but yet again I would still check it, good point!

Kevin

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
RD SNAKE said:
I agree too, but this is also with FACTORY parts, which quailty control isn't USUALLY a problem. If it was a aftermarket part, it would be the first thing Id check but yet again I would still check it, good point!

Kevin

I fixed my post, I got the impression he got ANOTHER remanned alternator, not just having his existing alt remanned. Take a look at post #8 for my fix.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• SonicBlur
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list