• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Ordered a sweet custom ice box (water tank) today!

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
This forum has been a bit slow lately, so I'm going to whore it up some more, plus I'm bored. Today I finally got ahold of the guy @ Chiseled Performance that I needed to talk to. It comes out to 5.5 gallons of capacity and I ditched my gay PFAB tank. Gotta cool down 24 PSI somehow :biggthump The best part is that it will fit completely in the spare well and the carpet will cover it up so you wont even see it in there and I dont lose any valuable trunk space I need for the track, since I am known as "tire boy" at Byron and drive my car there and change all 4 tires, and they fit in the car. ........Then my car breaks, and Carl and Beth get to bring all my shit home!!!

The tank only cost $190 and he is making it from scratch, kinda cool. You guys think the stock intercooler pump will work back there as long as its mounted near the tank?

If youre wondering what high tech CAD program I use, yeah thats Windows-Paint :lmao:

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
firstsvt said:
Thats what I'm trying to figure out, I'm trying to find the flow rate on the stocker and any alternatives. Hans seems to think the stocker will work fine if it is relocated to the trunk near the tank.

Any input on the pumps anyone???
PM Ratt Fink on ModFords....he's running a huge trunk mounted tank so whats working for him will undoubtably work for you.

The Tank looks awesome Jason, does it fit flush under the backed carpet? If so...badass

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
rocket5979 said:
The stocker pump should be just fine. It isn't like you are pushing any more fluid through the lines which could cause more stress on the pump, you just have a larger volume of fluid to flow before heatsoaking. :biggthump

True, but doesn't having to push that larger volume a greater distance tax the pump more than being located under the hood?

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
01GTvert said:
True, but doesn't having to push that larger volume a greater distance tax the pump more than being located under the hood?

You aren't really pushing it that much further where it is straining anything more, especially when it is not like the IC pump is pushing all that water up an incline or something. It is pushing it more or less on a level plane which doesn't make the pump really work harder by any appreciable amount.

You also have to figure that the pump being remote mounted away from the engine will lower the temps that it see's also. It will not be a huge difference as it pretty much cools itself with the fluid going through it, but every bit of temp drop will help longevity of the pump too.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
next time you're at the strip, make a pass then stick your finger in the intercooler reservoir. then ask yourself if you really need one of these. firstsvt probably does, given that he's well over 20psi, but for most of us, its just the placebo effect. if anything, you want a smaller reservoir relative to the heat exchanger volume, not a larger one.

as far as the pump goes, try a marine bilge pump. it will be 12v, and have the balls to push the fluid all the way to the other end of the car and back. i find the mag-drive pump that comes stock on 03/04 cobras and lightnings to be piss-poor in the reliability department. you may have to add a restrictor inline so the fluid goes slow enough past the ice to actually get cooled down.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
next time you're at the strip, make a pass then stick your finger in the intercooler reservoir. then ask yourself if you really need one of these. firstsvt probably does, given that he's well over 20psi, but for most of us, its just the placebo effect. if anything, you want a smaller reservoir relative to the heat exchanger volume, not a larger one.

as far as the pump goes, try a marine bilge pump. it will be 12v, and have the balls to push the fluid all the way to the other end of the car and back. i find the mag-drive pump that comes stock on 03/04 cobras and lightnings to be piss-poor in the reliability department. you may have to add a restrictor inline so the fluid goes slow enough past the ice to actually get cooled down.

I know that I need one of these, before with my PFAB tank, I couldnt even keep ice in the thing until I did my burnout, and that was with 15 PSI.......not enough volume. I have seen these kinds of tanks be worth upwards of 30 RWHP on cars running big boost, even making a new tune necessary because ice will lean out the tune significantly.

I am considering bypassing the heat exchanger altogether at the track, all that is going to do is heat up the water, but the ice box will be routed straight into the intercooler, instead of the HE

As far as the pump goes, yeah I really dont want to rely on the on the stocker, if it fails in the staging lanes and I make a full boogey pass = MELTDOWN. I found that the pump most are using is around $250 :crying: thats kind of steep, I'm finding the model number now.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
make sure to run larger lines to the front... VOLUME is key here... as a user of a 3000HP a/w intercooler, i see the difference a properly spec'd pump and line can change air charge temps..

I would try and get an inline meziere pump of sorts with at least 3/4 inch ID lines.. also, make sure that your pickup in the cell has a screen on it so the ice doesnt plug the hole... that could be BIG PROBLEMS!

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
make sure to run larger lines to the front... VOLUME is key here... as a user of a 3000HP a/w intercooler, i see the difference a properly spec'd pump and line can change air charge temps..

I would try and get an inline meziere pump of sorts with at least 3/4 inch ID lines.. also, make sure that your pickup in the cell has a screen on it so the ice doesnt plug the hole... that could be BIG PROBLEMS!

thanks bob, good points there. The tank does have a 3/4 outlet and inlet. I think I just have to pony up and buy the Meziere, this is no job for a stock I/C pump, pumping water 15 ft. in a 3/4" line

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
firstsvt said:
thanks bob, good points there. The tank does have a 3/4 outlet and inlet. I think I just have to pony up and buy the Meziere, this is no job for a stock I/C pump, pumping water 15 ft. in a 3/4" line

just remember to epoxy a screen over your outlet on the inside of your waterbox... that will keep the ice from being sucked into it..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info