• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Plasma Booster? BAS? COPS?

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
So I'm trying to figure out what all I need to get on the car before James comes in town for the tuning in April and I'm still thinking about getting something to eliminate and/or protect against spark blowout. Sounds like the main options (other than the obvious of closing the gap more on the plugs) are:

1) Plasma Booster - Sounds like it connects to the negative lead for the plugs and causes a series of sparks instead of just 1 constant. Probably cheapest option but doesn't sound like many use it.

2) Boost-A-Spark - Sounds like it connects to the positive lead for the plugs and increases the spark intensity at WOT... controlled by a dial just like a BAP. Most common choice and moderatly priced.

3) New COPS - New, high power/intensity COPS to increase spark all the time. Still have ups and downs as far as users reports with a good number of failures, and the most expensive of all 3 choices.

Anyone have experience with any of the above? Input?

thanks!

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
Plasma booster: Junk. Doesn't help anything. The weak link is the connector to the plug itself and there is no proof that the plasma booster helps anything.

BAS: Supposed to work, but apparently complicated to install (for someone like me anyway) but it still doesn't get around the weak link of the connector to the plug. Guys are running 600+ rwhp with no BAS.

COPS: Currently only 2 REAL options, both are currently VAPORware (doesn't exist to the public market yet). Weapon-X and Granatelli. The old Granatelli cops are junk; you have to swap wires, use a valve cover spacer... just inconvenient and leads to reliability issues. The Weapon-X cops have proved to be superior over the Granatelli, but Granatelli has answered back with a plug and play version for our 4V motors. Hermann currently has a set on his car and had this to say:

"Guys, i'm sorry but I don't have any dragstrip or dyno data yet. The workload has been heavy to say the least lately and I haven't had much time to test my car but I hope to have track back to back testing done within a week. As far as seat of the pants the car has better drivability and there is a definate increase in power!! I just want to have it all tested correctly before I post but so far these are EXACTLY what J.R. said they were....a bolt on that WORKS!!! Hermann"

With that being said, you can order them from Hermann or GMS direct for $535.00 and they will be shipping in 2 weeks.

Mike

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Dana said:
I don't really see the need for these types of spark boosters, not at the HP levels most of us are at currently.
Just run good plugs, changed often, and tighten up the gap a little if blow out becomes a problem.

Dana

What about high boost cars (20+ psi), I mean you can keep closing the gap until there is nothing their you no? Like when is it relistict to do this??? I guess We'll find out when herman does the testing.

P.s. dan thanks for the pics! Big help!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
RD SNAKE said:
What about high boost cars (20+ psi), I mean you can keep closing the gap until there is nothing their you no? Like when is it relistict to do this??? I guess We'll find out when herman does the testing.

P.s. dan thanks for the pics! Big help!

You're welcome. Hope they helped.

I run mine (BR7EFS) at .028 at 20+ # with no problems. I'm sure that there is some upper limit for boost and closing them down to less than .025 may be a problem, but many cars are doing just fine with 700++ HP and stock ignition. I would leave well enough alone until spark becomes an issue.
Not all plugs are created equal and some perform better that others. Heat range can also play a significant part.
Dan

Painter

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Dana said:
I don't really see the need for these types of spark boosters, not at the HP levels most of us are at currently.
Just run good plugs, changed often, and tighten up the gap a little if blow out becomes a problem.

Dana

Ditto........I ran a colder plug and mine were gapped at 30 I believe. save your money for new socks or something

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
I understand that you can run just fine with the stock system, but there is evidence that running a larger gap will increase rwhp. So boosting the ignition system to allow you to run a larger gap without blowout would be beneficial for making some more power. Granatelli claims up to 30 rwhp, we will soon know.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
ChicagoMike said:
I understand that you can run just fine with the stock system, but there is evidence that running a larger gap will increase rwhp. So boosting the ignition system to allow you to run a larger gap without blowout would be beneficial for making some more power. Granatelli claims up to 30 rwhp, we will soon know.

Exactly... It's been shown that the larger gap you can run, without blowout, the more fuel you can burn, thus increasing power. Yes closing the gap down will help prevent blowout, but it's done so at the expense of some power. That's why I was looking for something to help increase the spark efficiency instead of just closing the gap down...

Anyone else have input/experiences w/ any of these?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
When I see some hard, believable evidence that these spark enhancers actually do some good, then I'll rethink my position. So far, none of the aftermarket pieces has lived up to their claims or expectations. The other thing to consider is bang for the buck. You would have to weigh the HP gain vs. the cost. These COP systems aren't cheap.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
RD SNAKE said:
Dan I plan on running those NGK TR7IX plugs gapped at 28 for about 22 psi, whats your views on that?

I think they are a little on the delicate side.
The gap sounds ok.

Attachments

• NGK tr7ix.jpg
    NGK tr7ix.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 79
  • NGK br7efs.jpg
    NGK br7efs.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 12

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Dana said:
The other thing to consider is bang for the buck. You would have to weigh the HP gain vs. the cost. These COP systems aren't cheap.

You ain't kiddin those things aren't cheap... What got me started on this idea was seeing someone on SVTP.com selling a new Plasma Booster for $100. That's not too bad of a cost to help stop and/or prevent blowout and maybe even pick up a couple extra hp in the progress...

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
RD SNAKE said:
What plugs would you consider running then? what do you mean when saying "delicate"?
I would try the NGK BR7EFS.
These plugs are cheap enough that you can change them frequently and not go broke too. Mine are usually never in more than 1000 miles.

Do a search on ModFords for spark plug threads. There have been many instances of damaged plugs.
The common thing in many of them is the broken porcelian section surrounding the electrode, and most attribute it to detonation.

Dan

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Dana said:
I would try the NGK BR7EFS.
These plugs are cheap enough that you can change them frequently and not go broke too. Mine are usually never in more than 1000 miles.

Do a search on ModFords for spark plug threads. There have been many instances of damaged plugs.
The common thing in many of them is the broken porcelian section surrounding the electrode, and most attribute it to detonation.

Dan

Ive tried the copper tr6's & did brake the porcelian. I searched the br7's and a little of people seem to have problems untill the car is warm. I think im going to try out those TR7IX's. What's Mr. lyle running?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
RD SNAKE said:
Ive tried the copper tr6's & did brake the porcelian. I searched the br7's and a little of people seem to have problems untill the car is warm. I think im going to try out those TR7IX's. What's Mr. lyle running?
That's the best thing to do. Try different things until you find one that satisfies you. Not all motors are the same and can respond differently to the same modifications and accessories.

Lyle runs the BR7EFS also. Gapped at .028, I believe. We'll see how they hold up under 25 #'s of boost. I have no reason to think they will be anything other than fine.

Dan

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Dana said:
That's the best thing to do. Try different things until you find one that satisfies you. Not all motors are the same and can respond differently to the same modifications and accessories.

Lyle runs the BR7EFS also. Gapped at .028, I believe. We'll see how they hold up under 25 #'s of boost. I have no reason to think they will be anything other than fine.

Dan

Ok sounds good! Let me no how it turns out.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
Question about a COP system, and opening the gap.

If opening the gap and/or using a COPS system increases the spark, resulting in more fuel burned = more HP...

Does the computer adjust the fuel so it does not lean out, or does it actually lean out (maybe that's a result of the "extra power") and a retune is needed with a large gap/COPS system?

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
compression and ignition advance is where power is made.
run better gas and bump up the timing and you'll find more power than you ever would playing with spark plug gaps.

everything granatelli is a poor copy of someone else's good work. let us never speak of them again.

ChicagoMike said:

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
ShelbyGuy said:
compression and ignition advance is where power is made.
run better gas and bump up the timing and you'll find more power than you ever would playing with spark plug gaps.

everything granatelli is a poor copy of someone else's good work. let us never speak of them again.

Isn't SCT MAF's made by granatelli, I thought I heard something floating around like that? Makes me think twice about the quality of granatelli products, seeing how I have not problems with my 2800....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info