• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

What's under the front bumper shroud?

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
ILLINI-SVT said:
Is it a steel bumper, or just that plastic honeycomb? I picked up another no-front-plate user fee courtesy of Chicago's finest revenue collectors while my car was parked in front of my apartment the other day. They are starting to piss me off and I was considering whether there is a magnetic option for when the car is sitting parked? :dunno:

See GNXS, he has a simple and clean, no bumper drilling solution.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
I looked into the sticker thing and that didn't seem to work out. Besides, having the real plate in the front window doesn't stop them from giving me a ticket, so I'm guessing that the sticker image of it won't stop those men with small penises (and those women who look like them) from ticketing me either. DO YOU HEAR ME MAYOR DALEY? FNG OVER YOUR RESIDENTS AS A WAY TO MAKE MONEY JUST PISSES ME OFF!!!!!

I like the no-hole bracket, but what I really want is something I can quickly detach when I get in the car (at the same time it has to look permanent to prevent thiefs).

J

Jpatte

Is this what your looking for

Attachments

• smallfrontplate.JPG
    smallfrontplate.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 106

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
ILLINI-SVT said:
Not to be ungrateful for all the info on plate alternatives . . . but does anyone know what's under the shroud? Paper or plastic? Aluminum or steel? I have a decent idea for an alternative, but I don't want to have to buy a big magnet to find out if it will work or not.

Dude pulling off the front bumper takes about 10 sec. Their is a couple push pin retainers under the hood. A couple more under the car in the middle of the bumper. Then 2 screws on each side of the bumper, they are in the wheel wells

01Sleeper

TCG Elite Member
Dec 11, 2004
ILLINI-SVT said:
Not to be ungrateful for all the info on plate alternatives . . . but does anyone know what's under the shroud? Paper or plastic? Aluminum or steel? I have a decent idea for an alternative, but I don't want to have to buy a big magnet to find out if it will work or not.

There is a foam piece directly behind the bumper, then a steel piece behind that.

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
ILLINI-SVT said:
Is it a steel bumper, or just that plastic honeycomb? I picked up another no-front-plate user fee courtesy of Chicago's finest revenue collectors while my car was parked in front of my apartment the other day. They are starting to piss me off and I was considering whether there is a magnetic option for when the car is sitting parked? :dunno:

I think they hid the bags of cocaine behing the front bumpers of these cars...
I could be wrong though.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
sonicblue2003 said:
fuck the cops I have not had one on mine since I bought it. And I will NEVER put one on. If you get pulled over just tell them It got stolen and u r waiting to get a new one from the state. That worked for me a few times. Or use double sided tape..

That's great for you, but I don't get pulled over. My neighborhood has people walking the streets looking for reasons to put tickets on cars. The first one, 2 years ago, was because some jerk knocked it off when they hit my bumper. That worked to get me out of that one. When I got another last fall, when again some clown knocked off the temporary setup I had rigged that I hadn't put back together yet, they had notes in the computer about using the same excuse. Even though it was true, I still got the fine ($50). I just got another. Since it's the same plates as my L, I'm not even going to bother fighting it. AND THAT'S BEER MONEY!

The stickers won't work for the same reason. They walk right up to the car and inspect it basically. No city sticker, no front plate, for sale sign in the window, tints, etc., all will get you tickets. They err on the side of writing it because most people won't bother contesting it. Cha-ching.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
ILLINI-SVT said:
That's great for you, but I don't get pulled over. My neighborhood has people walking the streets looking for reasons to put tickets on cars. The first one, 2 years ago, was because some jerk knocked it off when they hit my bumper. That worked to get me out of that one. When I got another last fall, when again some clown knocked off the temporary setup I had rigged that I hadn't put back together yet, they had notes in the computer about using the same excuse. Even though it was true, I still got the fine ($50). I just got another. Since it's the same plates as my L, I'm not even going to bother fighting it. AND THAT'S BEER MONEY!

The stickers won't work for the same reason. They walk right up to the car and inspect it basically. No city sticker, no front plate, for sale sign in the window, tints, etc., all will get you tickets. They err on the side of writing it because most people won't bother contesting it. Cha-ching.

Move to the burbs and get a garage... problem solved. :biggthump

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
ILLINI-SVT said:

You're making me really reconsider moving into the City Kevin

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info