• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Oooops!!! there goes my motor..

FST RED 1

Feb 12, 2007
I just got my 99 Lightning in from Long Island. Drove it back here about 830 miles, with no problems. Actually kept her cruising about 70ish all the way home.
I did a few runs around town with her, not thing special this week, probably put on 60 miles if that. I go Thursday to get new tires put in the rear, not more than 3 miles from my place. The tire guy comes into me and say " Sir you truck wont start" ... Ummmm huh? lol.. I had to laugh. So I so out, and sure enough, Nada.. nothing, just a "click" from the starter. I thought.. ok.. bad battery, because after a few times of trying to start her, my lights go real dim. I get an Opitma battery, and still same thing.... " click" .. crap! .. haha. By now its almost 8pm. The tire place, which whom I give HUGE props to :headbang: ( Discount Tire on 95th st in Oak Lawn ) let me keep it inside their place till I got it towed in the morning to my mechanic. I get the dreaded "call" in the morning.. " Gregg, we have a problem I need you to come over here" ... from my mechanic. I get over there and we explains to me that the engine will crank by hand, then dead stop. Hmmmm... so we start pulling the plugs, and sure enough, anti-freeze in cylinders 1 & 2.( cant compress a liquid ) Ok we get that all blown out, then as we crank it by hand, we get the .... scraping... Eeeek!!! sound.. Sounds like a rod is bent??? :dunno: SOoooo long story short, I got a hold of a local " performance mechanic " that I have had very high recommendation from, and get it towed to his shop. He is going to tear it down and see what happened.. and then try and figure out WHY it happened.. because the motor only has a little over 3000 miles on the build. I talked to the guy I bought it from, whom is a great guy... and NO I am not blaming him, he is very concerned, and even said that he will "help" me with the problem... so that was a nice offer... Guess what I did last night ? :alcoholic haha! Wish me luck!

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
FST RED 1 said:
try and figure out WHY it happened.. because the motor only has a little over 3000 miles on the build.

Seems like a bad build to me. I'd call that an infant failure. Especially if you put 1/3 of that mileage on the motor just driving it home.
If I had to take a quick guess. I'd say a warped head from the original engine failure which wasn't then decked flat.

Bummer. Sorry for your troubles.

Upgrade Time!

FST RED 1

Feb 12, 2007
Thanks guys.. yes the mechanic I had it brought to comes very highly recommended and if very local to me here.. so I went with him. He really knows his stuff.. I called a few of the Sponsors on the board, but their timing was months away.. I cant wait that long, or dont want to. We shall see, what the rest of the story is..

FST RED 1

Feb 12, 2007
blubyu said:
Good Luck! Sorry for your troubles. If it's a fresh rebuild, it may be worth it to have the engine shipped out to New York.

Yes fresh as in only 3000 mile since the build, but more than a year has already gone by, so they said it is out or warranty.I talked to them and they said " well there was probably abuse to the engine" ... I heard in my head... " you abused it" I know it was not me or the previous owner, he never raced it, or really got on it. He is a stand up guy. So I am between a rock and a hard place with the original builder.. he said she said , kind of thing. :confused:

FST RED 1

Feb 12, 2007
JeffsLightning said:
Any word yet on what failed?

I think either today or tomorrow they are going to start tearing her down..

and thanks for the OTHER site thread.. I replied to that also. :biggthump....

WOW...... I jumped on here this morning to take a peek @ the site and I see this thread...

If I may set the record straight.

Rob in my humble opinion... is a STAND-UP guy... After numerous phone conversations with him back and forth b4 I bought the truck, after I bought the truck and still its very concerned about it, I never ever ever thought himself or Sal had anything to do with this. I bought the truck " as is " , not that I am saying anything was wrong with it, but that is a NORMAL business transaction.. all you guys know it as well as I do.... "POOP" as they say happens.. and well it happened in this case... I will deal with it. I still LOVE the truck and look forward to allot of years owning it.
The TIRE shop had NOTHING to do with it. I saw the truck the whole time, NO ONE DROVE the truck except ME. It was sitting there the whole 20 minutes in the LOT as I waited for my turn in line for the tires.
Is there something I could have done to it? Am I to blame? possably? I dont KNOW.. All I know is that I drove it a whole 60 miles here when I got it back.. to the alarm place, to the gas station,to the dry cleaners, to the bed cover place, to the oil changing place, ... maybe they took it for a JOY RIDE when I wasn't looking, the whole 15 minutes I was there with them in the bay?

I DID not ABUSE this truck, I love this truck, I babied it the whole way home and here also. I never got ON it.. and my thought is.... isn't the truck built to "get on it" isn't it made for a little FUN? I cant believe that a truck this built can not be driven in some kind of aggressive manner.. NOT that I even did drive it that way... But you have to bet I was going to when the weather permitted me to.
So all of the " speculations" about what happened will only be answered once it is torn down and looked at..

I do have to again repeat... I am NOT blaming ANYONE, not the oil change guys, not the tire shop, not the dry cleaner woman who looked at it with a "O WOW" that is a nice truck, and especially not ROB or SAL.. it happened, and I will make damn sure that it does not happen again. I cant afford it..

So thanks for all of the concern and wondering and speculation and blaming someone... I take the blame, I take the responsibility, It my truck and I plan on keeping it for a long long time...

FST RED 1

Feb 12, 2007
Well the real reason that it went was a....

SMALL PIN HOLE in the HEAD on the intake side of # 1 cylinder. These are PATRIOT HEADS..

He pressure tested the I/C and it is just fine.

He said he could weld the hole, but suggested getting new heads, no "guarantee" that it wont happen again. So that is what I am going to do.. get new heads.

#1 rod was mangled, and # 5 was also affected he said. The rest of the motor is in Great shape! and even said how WELL BUILT it is..

So that is the "rest of the story" .... I am waiting for him to find new heads.. should be within the next few days.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info