• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

home ported heads

Svt Abuser

SVT FTP
Jul 26, 2006
..has anyone here ported their own heads, to any significant gains/ I looked at patriot heads, they are really nice, perfectly machined...but thats alot of dough..and does the average joe need them that perfect? my thoughts are if you are doing a low buck 99-10 NA cobra, and you...do a full exhaust, headers, x pipe, nice cat back...port the heads and intake yourself, send the heads out for a valve job and HD valve springs, add a nice set of cams, do it all yourself, and you could end up with a fairly healthy low buck cobra. Im not expecting a home brew job like this to put out 500 hp, but I wonder what kinda gains you could be looking at. any one here have any fuzzy math to contribute?

Svt Abuser

SVT FTP
Jul 26, 2006
ive done a few sets of 2.02 heads for old chevy 350, they came out great. I bought a book that had blueprints of a ported set of heads in it, and used the plans to navigate where to take out metal in my heads. I really like these CNC ported heads, they are beautiful, and seem perfect, but the price is high, and I dont know for sure that $2000 heads are necessary for my application...the car is never going to be a 1000hp hog, I am all about getting the free, labor intensive HP if its in there.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Svt Abuser said:
..has anyone here ported their own heads, to any significant gains/ I looked at patriot heads, they are really nice, perfectly machined...but thats alot of dough..and does the average joe need them that perfect? my thoughts are if you are doing a low buck 99-10 NA cobra, and you...do a full exhaust, headers, x pipe, nice cat back...port the heads and intake yourself, send the heads out for a valve job and HD valve springs, add a nice set of cams, do it all yourself, and you could end up with a fairly healthy low buck cobra. Im not expecting a home brew job like this to put out 500 hp, but I wonder what kinda gains you could be looking at. any one here have any fuzzy math to contribute?

Check out MMR, they do hand porting for $500 or so.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info