• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

99 Cobra

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
i think hes saying there are alot of people on here just to talk cars but dont talk tech...

unfortunately there arnt that many tech-y people hear but there are quite a few that know a lot... not to mention our sponsors kick major ass and are very helpful if u have any sort of tech question u cant find the answer to by asking regular board members

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
WhtSuperStang said:
i think hes saying there are alot of people on here just to talk cars but dont talk tech...

unfortunately there arnt that many tech-y people hear but there are quite a few that know a lot... not to mention our sponsors kick major ass and are very helpful if u have any sort of tech question u cant find the answer to by asking regular board members

I am a big techy person. The only problem is that I know that if I start talking performance tech here that no one will probably be interested. If anyone asks a question then if I see it then I will usually answer it.

I guess I just come to this site for the friendly atmosphere. In fact I kind of like the lack of tech talk going on here. I am a very active member on modularfords, SVTP, and Corral and when tech talk goes on over there it is about a 75% chance that it turns into an arguement. I guess that is the benefit of a non-tech place like CSVT is that there is less arguing due to that.

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
ive asked a good amount of tech questions here but i dont get much replies. this is mostly because i have a 5.0 cobra and most gys on here have mod motor'd stangs. my questions are usually answered here but it takes a while.

and whats nice, when u ask tech questions here u will most likely get a response from one of our site sponsered performance shops.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
rocket5979 said:
I am a big techy person. The only problem is that I know that if I start talking performance tech here that no one will probably be interested.
There are alot of people here who know alot about our cars and there are alot of people who like to talk tech about our cars. Hell, I read just about every new tech thread (real info, not BS) thread on ModFords just to build knowledge. But, I know the people here, and its nice to sit back and BS with people who share the same interests as you.

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
yea tech is always is incouraged! im not a super techy but i know quite a bit about our cars, and the pushrods and s/c cobras but there usually isnt much in the way of tech questions around here more like a bunch of how much power will i make, will this fit/work, where can i get this...stuff like that

im sure if more tech talk started happening more people would be talking about that...imo

Svt Abuser

SVT FTP
Jul 26, 2006
It seems like the new age hotrod is only for someone with a large pocketbook...The days of DIY in the garage seem to be over...I admit that I have been intimidated by the thoughts of ripping apart my motor (I am/was a 350 chevy man/pushrod motor man) but I am now thinking to myself, how the hell am I going to learn if I dont jump into one of these motors? My 1st plan is to pick up an old intake and set of heads, and give a shot at port/polish...aside from paying out for the spare heads and intake, this should be free horsepower. But then again, I dont know how good or bad the factory job is, maybe these mod motors come from the factory as good as their gonna get, and thats why U have to blow the big change on aftermarket heads and a performance shop baked block...I cant in good concience drop 8-10K in my motor without hardly turning a wrench on it, it doesnt seem right. Especially for something that is being built for the fun of it..i am not avid in going to the strip or the track (id like to, but with 4 kids, priorities are different) Id just like to put my touch in the car, and not have it bone stock.

Everything seems expensive. I looked at a stroker kit for my car, were talking crank, rods, pistons, rings...and its 2K!!...it seems that when u buy a *kit* since someone has taken the minimal guess work out of assembling the parts, they charge u up the ass for it...I dont know, I could be very wrong. (or maybe just an out of touch cheap ass)

My plan is pretty simple. I am doing my suspension work 1st, minor stuff, looking to get bilsteins and 1.5inch drop on my car in a month...(as soon as i can find the used parts), 4.30 gears and irs bushing kit...(mine is hopping at will right now), do a full exhaust headers to tail pipe, (again, as i can mass together used parts, i will get this together) looking at something along the lines of MAC headers, prochamber, cat back, then if I have the heads and intake ready by the time this stuff is done, I would like to put my home ported heads and intake in with a set of cams. thats it. it seems that the car just needs to breathe better..as any stock car would. whatever I end up with, should be good enough...and what will it cost? hopefully I can find a string of guys cleaning out their garages. I am not opposed to the purchase of a procharger in the future, I was turned off by the 5K price tag, but I have seen a number of them for sale in the 1800-2500 range in SVTPerformance...so some day, that may be in my future. but for now, this is the road i am travelling on...

YES< i, as all u have, considered the jump to the 03-04, but the prices are still bad. also, it seems that the 99/01 are the same car (i know the differences, but on the exterior, and interior, basically the same...)..i just have a problem with shelling out all that extra dough for added performance...It would seem one cannot call themselves a true gearhead if they had to *pay* for the performance instead of wrenching it on your own....

Thats not to say u guys that have been able to go from a 99/01 to an 03/04 arent gearheads, U are just better off than me HAHA...anyways, its good to see some other guys out there interested in doing something with their 99/01s...

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
99svtdvr said:
I would like a s/c...but I am very happ with my n/a 99.

I could however use some gears(still stock) and a 1.5 drop.

I hope to cut some cost by doing installs myself, on things that are somewhat hard. I'll just do it over the winter when the car is sitting.

I'm doing the installs on my car just because i want to learn more about it, and i cant afford the shops doing it.

99, i still have to hear your exhaust, i want to strap on a catted bassani x this summer.

imbuggin

Addict
Mar 15, 2007
my panoz count???

so guys does my panoz espirante count to be included in this thread? It has a cobra 2001 engine in a carbon fiber and aluminum body. I am currently having a procharger installed with 10lbs of boost and titanium headers. I will be pushing 600hp and still be able to handle a curve better than a ferarri. It needs some custom tubing for the charger. Panoz for those who do not know is the racing team that beat ferarri and Lamborgini in lemans and sebring. My car should run low 11's on street tires and still be very track worthly. Here is the link to their stock cars. http://www.panozauto.com/Default.htm

green99_svt

Regular
Oct 10, 2005
cyac5l8trfcar said:
If you take these heads apart your self make sure you have the factory tools from ford or at least generic knock offs. Also, get a big bottle of advil so you can deal with getting the retainers back in. I will NEVER do that again.

come on bob we had fun on those retainers....we did need a few bandaids from all that sharp aluminum

btw i have an n/a 99 cobra im a bit techy to boot

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info