• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

half shafts

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
Don't even waste your time or money on the level 2 setup. you'd be better served just bringing a spare axle to the track.

You may also want a set of new factory shafts since the lvl2 and lvl5 setup re-use the factory shaft's inner cv joint. No sense putting in a new shaft with an inner joint that has 50,000 miles on it - at least not to me.

Lvl5 install is more complicated due to the fact that they come with a 31 spline outer hub instead of the factory 28 spline unit. This means the knuckles have to come off the car and be put on the shop press. I have a press and the right step plates to do this job, fwiw. The lvl5 setup also comes with really good 3" wheel studs so get yourself some 1/2-20 open-ended lug nuts.

use red loctitte on the axle nut (thats free advice)

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
onecobra2fear said:
is that why we use the diff. brace, or the brace do not help the internals?

no, that just prevents a lawsuit from your schrapnel hitting a spectator in the eye...kinda like internal combustion!

cobravenom39 said:
and an Rv membership to AAA(towing up to 300 miles away). Far better than halfshaft, IMO.

best advice yet!

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
SLASH said:
forget l2's not worth it. i hae 5's and regret not going built solid for a few more bucks.

$1700.00 for Level 5's installed VS $5000.00 for a qualified live axle install? Not for MY money.

FWIW....My level 2's ($1100.00 INSTALLED I think?) anyway, they have 20M miles and about 125 1/4 mile passes and I ain't afraid of em. Truth be told I wish I did Level 5's but so far I haven't needed them. DSS sold them to me good for 550 @ the wheels so WTF. My car is so over powered now it's ridiculous, "UNLESS" I am at the track on slicks going in a straight line! I just can't see why you would give up the "driver" for the "drag" strip, UNLESS that's the goal, and for some it is, but for me, I bought an 03 SVT COBRA, and I ain't ever gonna see more than 600RWHP no matter what "I" do, much less give up the handling charactaristics of this car for the 1/4 mile. As much as I love to Drag race my car, I would never give up the IRS and go live axle when there's level 5's out there, but that's just me.
I've been kinda conservative with my power increases and my whole attitude towards this car as far as upgrades go, because there's only so much "I" will do to it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info