• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

does lower, require a new tune

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
A 2.8 upper with a 4 or 6 # lower is overkill. I think that equals over 18 PSI. Too much heat and too much spinning.

2.8 upper with a 2 # lower is what is recommended - or 2.93/4# or 3.1/6#. You'll also need a bigger alternator pulley.

Not worth the trouble, I'm running 3.1 upper/6# lower - 520HP/520TQ with the ported blower. YES you'll need a retune, more boost = leaner, and you'll probably peg the maf.

If you don't mind wasting money on another tune and shortening the life of your eaton and spending money on a MAF and cooling mods, then go for it (like I did, but I went all the way the first time around - if I was in your situation, I'd go right for the KB or whipple)

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
onecobra2fear said:
do you think loweres are worth the trouble?

With a 2.8 upper I wouldn't go bigger than a 2lb lower.

Do you have a MAF extender of some kind? My MAF was damn near pegged with just a 2.76 upper, so I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't pegged or very close.

ChicagoMike said:
YES you'll need a retune, more boost = leaner, and you'll probably peg the maf.

It will only lean out if it was tuned improperly or the MAF pegs. Larry frequently changes upper pullies on his whipple to up the boost at the track without making any tune changes.

doug@performance

Forum Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
With that pulley combo you would be spinning that S@#$ out of that blower that would probably cause a lot of heat along with shorten the life of the Eaton. Your set up makes good power now so you i would recomend just to upgrade to the Whipple or K.B. But as like the others are telling you,You will need a MAF or atleast a extender.
Thanks
Doug

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I'd go for it, provided you installed a bigger MAF, say the SCT2400.
Then when you figure out that still isn't enough power and you install the Whipple or KB, you're half way home. You will have almost all the supporting mods in place already.
I probably wouldn't go bigger that a 4# lower for now though.
You might consider a BAP too.
Dana

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info