• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

A few ??'s related to 96-98 cobra's.

ChromeCobra

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2005
Ford Claims a stock 96-98 Cobra does the 1/4 mile in 13.9, and the HP is 305, IMO the best mods would be Short runner intake, IMRC deletes, 4:30's, MM full length SFC's, full exhaust, JLT intake, steeda pullies, MGW shifter, some good DR's, and a tune. Theres alot more but thats just to name a few.
Mark

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
96-98 motors tend to be stronger than the 99-01's because of the iron block

They all have Alum blocks.
The 96 has 6bolt mains. Over all the heads flow very good - but the earlier years could use a PnP on the exhaust side. 96/97/98 have runners IMRC in the intake that hold performance back (There are some good mods for that, but $'s) The 99/01 intake flows great - see a lot of guys getting the early blocks and building up with the upper 99/01 parts.

As far as mods - Gears, pullies, headers, o/r X and a good cold air really wake up the engine! Still a heavy car, so the usual suspension work helps a ton too!

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
WhiteMach03 said:
Excuse my ignorance but what are IMRC's? Thanks for the answer in advance!

Intake Manifold Runner Control (I think)

They are the butterflies that open and close the secondary intake runners on the 96 - 98 4v motors. They were designed to keep one set of runners closed until around 3500 rpm I believe. Supposed to help with low end torque. Alot of people delete them especially when adding forced induction.

ChromeCobra

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2005
WhiteMach03 said:
Excuse my ignorance but what are IMRC's? Thanks for the answer in advance!
They are plates with butterfly valves that are between the heads and intake, below 3250 RPMs they stay closed so they so they are blocking one intake valve per a cylinder. Ford installed these only on 96-98 Cobras because they improve low end torque.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info