• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Longest Time You Let Your Cobra Sit?

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
Is it on a battery tender, or is the battery disconnected? If not, bye bye battery. Once the battery is dead, alternator is next from trying to charge the battery.

I start mine once a month and let it get to temp, and I push the clutch in and shift through the gears several times.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
ChicagoMike said:
Is it on a battery tender, or is the battery disconnected? If not, bye bye battery. Once the battery is dead, alternator is next from trying to charge the battery.

No battery tender,not disconnected either.This is the 5th winter I've owned my cobra and it always starts right up after sitting(knock on wood)

Before I start it after sitting,I Crank the engine with the accelerator to the floor,so it doesn't start and pre-lubes the engine and builds oil pressure. :dunno:

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
Each time you drain your battery, it hurts the life of the battery, and makes your alternator work very hard to recharge it each time. FYI letting my Cobra sit for a few weeks without starting, the battery would be almost completely dead. So I always keep it on a battery tender now - and I lost the stock alternator.

I also have an optima yellow top battery now.

03 VENOM said:
No battery tender,not disconnected either.This is the 5th winter I've owned my cobra and it always starts right up after sitting(knock on wood)

Before I start it after sitting,I Crank the engine with the accelerator to the floor,so it doesn't start and pre-lubes the engine and builds oil pressure. :dunno:

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
The starting procedure makes sense, but the main concern is while it's sitting there is a possibility that the engine seals will get so dry they will eventually start to crack. So it is healthy to start the car once and a while.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/library/show/storage.shtml

"Keep the battery alive. When a battery loses its charge over time, it can freeze and explode. To avoid a dangerous mess, hook up a battery charger/maintainer, which will keep the battery properly charged, no matter how long the vehicle sits."

03 VENOM said:

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
I don't do the starting procedure since I start the car on a monthly basis and let it get to temp, then I shut it down. Typically, I'll let it run for 10-15 minutes. Then I will let it cool down for a couple of hours before putting the car cover back on. I will not do this on days under 25F

03 VENOM said:
Thanks Mike...............Do you do the same thing,Cranking the engine,pushing the accelerator to the floor also?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I cant go more than a week without atleast starting it and listening to it run. At this point with the offroad mid pipe on there though, it stinks so bad even with the garage door open, it lingers forever and gets in the house too so I prefer to drive it aound the block as long as its not wet or snowy out. The salts not to bad either, so a quick run threw the gears to warm up the car is cool. Also, its fun to break the tires loose rolling on it in 4th with the ground so cold. hehehe..

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
03/04 it sat for 7 months in a 8 month span

04/05 it sat for 7 months in a 8 month span

05/06 it sat for 9 months straight

06/07 its been sitting for 3 months with the exception of one day

The car gets started every 2-8 weeks usually...sometimes longer when it wasnt under my supervision. Ive never put a battery tender on it, never pulled the battery and Ive been fine. No startup issues unless its ridiculously cold and no charging issues either.

Cobratom

Regular
May 14, 2004
03 VENOM said:
So far the longest is 3 months! Without Starting/Driving!! I added fuel stabilizer,full tank of gas,Added more tire pressure before storing it......That's about it.

Anything to worry about???

i have done the same. My car sat in a heated garage, started up on weekends and let it totally come up to operating temp. no issues at all. ALWAYS had a Battery Tender hooked up when sitting, this IS a must! No Tender = crap battery and a limited life alternator.

joes03cobra10thann said:
Mine has been sitting in storage for two months now, my battery is disconnected but i have not started the car since i put her to sleep. After reading this as soon as i have some free time i am gonna go start her up and warm up a little bit. :cool:

Dont worry about starting it, it is not necessary and actually is better to not start the car unless you are going to drive it for 30min or so.

All you need to do is hold your foot all the way down on the accelerator pedal and let the engine crank for about 15 seconds in the spring, then start it. Get it to operating temp, let it cool some, change the oil and your good for the summer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info