• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

new top hat mod

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
The biggest restriction (helping to cause high fuel pump duty cycles) on the 03/04 Cobra fuel system is the single 1/4 inch outlet from the 2 stock pumps.
This mod uses 2-3/8 inch outlets, tripling the flow capability. Each pump has its own outlet. The stock setup also has a check valve that should be removed thereby increasing flow capability as well.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
dun4791 said:
The biggest restriction (helping to cause high fuel pump duty cycles) on the 03/04 Cobra fuel system is the single 1/4 inch outlet from the 2 stock pumps.
This mod uses 2-3/8 inch outlets, tripling the flow capability. Each pump has its own outlet. The stock setup also has a check valve that should be removed thereby increasing flow capability as well.

Question. You may need to speculate a bit here, but would it be worth it to mod the hat for dual outlets but retain the stock pumps, but have upgraded lines all the way top the rail??

I had plenty of fuel for my Eaton and spray (100 dry shot) last year, but I am going twin screw and may spray as well this year. So I only really need to support maybe 700-750 RW so I think an all out setup like that may be overkill for me. I want to keep it as simple as possible. PM sent too, thanks

Jason

firstsvt said:
Question. You may need to speculate a bit here, but would it be worth it to mod the hat for dual outlets but retain the stock pumps, but have upgraded lines all the way top the rail??

I had plenty of fuel for my Eaton and spray (100 dry shot) last year, but I am going twin screw and may spray as well this year. So I only really need to support maybe 700-750 RW so I think an all out setup like that may be overkill for me. I want to keep it as simple as possible. PM sent too, thanks

Jason

Jason

Yes it would definately be worth it to mod the hat and keep the stock pumps. I was actually thinking of doing just that as I feel the hat mod like this with stock pumps, will outflow focus pumps without the hat mod. I dont have hard data to back this up, but it is my opinion. But a friend had focus pumps he wanted to sell and since the focus dont draw the amps that the GTs do (FPDMs in series) I can just run one modified FPDM.

You could try the hat mod with stock pumps, BAP with wire upgrade,8 an after the filter to the stock rails. I believe this would be good for your level.
Dont know what you already have, but the expense would be BAP 250, fuel hose 150,mallory filter 100.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
blubyu said:
Would that mod replace / be better than a BAP?

While my reply could be taken as being slightly subjective due to the nature of the question, yes it will be because your increasing flow which will really decrease fuel_pump_duty_cycle. That means that you are using less of the pumps potential power for the same fuel flow rate.

You Cobra guys are lucky with all these people coming up with ideas for you to use for your fuel issues. I ended up fabricating the entire fuel pump hat for my dual Ford GT pumps from scratch with dual -8AN bulkhead fittings (to dual -8AN fuel lines) because no one makes anything for the Ford Explorers(for obvious reasons). Should flow enough fuel for a crapton of power though!

A BAP will be an easier install but modding the fuel pump hat will be a longer term solution which will in turn give you more range with the stockker pumps.

A BAP and this mod in conjunction with each other is a real winner also because now you have more fuel flow ability per given FPDC percentage and also have much more increased flow from the BAP too.

rocket5979 said:
While my reply could be taken as being slightly subjective due to the nature of the question, yes it will be because your increasing flow which will really decrease fuel_pump_duty_cycle. That means that you are using less of the pumps potential power for the same fuel flow rate.

You Cobra guys are lucky with all these people coming up with ideas for you to use for your fuel issues. I ended up fabricating the entire fuel pump hat for my dual Ford GT pumps from scratch with dual -8AN bulkhead fittings (to dual -8AN fuel lines) because no one makes anything for the Ford Explorers(for obvious reasons). Should flow enough fuel for a crapton of power though!

A BAP will be an easier install but modding the fuel pump hat will be a longer term solution which will in turn give you more range with the stockker pumps.

A BAP and this mod in conjunction with each other is a real winner also because now you have more fuel flow ability per given FPDC percentage and also have much more increased flow from the BAP too.

thank you

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
firstsvt said:

Jason

Jason,
As Lyle mentioned, we discussed that very situation, retain the stock pumps while doing the remaining mods. I personally would do the Focus pumps anyway, no matter what, if anything, else you do. And especially if you do pull the top hat apart to mod it. They are around $90 each, so cost shouldn't stop you.
Dan

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Dana said:
Jason,
As Lyle mentioned, we discussed that very situation, retain the stock pumps while doing the remaining mods. I personally would do the Focus pumps anyway, no matter what, if anything, else you do. And especially if you do pull the top hat apart to mod it. They are around $90 each, so cost shouldn't stop you.
Dan

+1. If you already have it apart and are modding the fuel system for more flow then why stop there when all you have is a few more steps to really ensure you won't run into issues down the road WHEN (not if) you decide to go for more power. I don't know about anyone else, but I hate to tear stuff apart twice when I know I can just work on it one time and be done with it.

Also, for the same price as the Foci pumps I would actually recommend the GT pumps as they flow a decent amount more. Just got to make sure you got the hose on the upper barb nice and tight and also switch some of the pump perameters from a GT tune over to your cars tune to make things operate smoothly.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Dana said:
No, part of the mod is to increase the diameter of the outlet fitting(s). This necessitates the removal of the stock outlet pipe, not to mention the obvious difference in the type of connection.

Exactly... Why uncork one restriction to flow just to leave another one existing further up the fuel line? If ya do one ya got to do the other to justify doing the mod at all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info