• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

battery light came on

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
it wont be on when i start up and will come on randomly during the drive. might stay on for a few min (5-10 min) then go off. i have had the battery tested and it is fine. without a volt meter or whatever how do i test what else is going on with my charging system. autozone tested my battery. any thoughts of what i should do? no aftermarket anything besides exhaust (ie no stereo upgrades) and the car just hit 50k miles 2 days ago

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
hazmat404 said:
it wont be on when i start up and will come on randomly during the drive. might stay on for a few min (5-10 min) then go off. i have had the battery tested and it is fine. without a volt meter or whatever how do i test what else is going on with my charging system. autozone tested my battery. any thoughts of what i should do? no aftermarket anything besides exhaust (ie no stereo upgrades) and the car just hit 50k miles 2 days ago

I'm taking a wild shot here and gonna say your alternator took a crap. Mine lasted untill 16k miles. To check, get your self a volt meter (sears has them for pretty cheap). Put it on the DV volts scale. Hook it up to your battery. With the car running you should be charging around 14 volts give or take a couple tenths. Anything under that your alternator is junk. You might have 14 volts at idle but you said it comes on randomly so it may not be charging when it gets warm. Good luck changing the alternator it was a PITA that I don't look forward into doing again, with the engine in the car anyways. Here is a link anyhow. Any more questions shoot me a PM.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182632

Kevin

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well i want to upgrade and ive been looking around. i should prob go with a 130 amp correct but i was wondering about the new pulley everyone is talking about that i would need. does that mean a new belt that i would need too? just curious cause i want to buy one tonight so i can get it by early next week. thanx

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
waaay more than i can afford right now. i want to do it right but close to top of the line isnt an option. im checking out ebay and shit like that. whats the deal with the new pulley too and is most of the alts just straight replacements or need new brackets too? these modular engines still scare me. i liked my simple 5.0 lol

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
its the alternator...

just get a stock one? i dont know whats there to suck about it...since u dont have any hardcore car audio in your car i dont see a need to spend a crapload to upgrade....i had the same problem and i got another ford one and its doing its job and if i remember right i didnt pay an arm and a leg for it...hope that helps :biggthump

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
hazmat404 said:
waaay more than i can afford right now. i want to do it right but close to top of the line isnt an option. im checking out ebay and shit like that. whats the deal with the new pulley too and is most of the alts just straight replacements or need new brackets too? these modular engines still scare me. i liked my simple 5.0 lol

I bought this one for my cobra

http://www.pa-performance.com/display.asp?sku=156

They are from PA performance, I've used their alternators & starters on my 5.0 too, they make a GREAT product. You re-use your old pulley. You don't need any brackets or a new belt. Dude don't be scared, they are the same as a 5.0 just more bracket and stuff, thats the best way to think of it. It is the same as a 5.0 just in a shit-less spot.

All of the problem with the alternator's are due to the fact that they are ran off the supercharger belt and over spun, another great idea by ford.

Kevin

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
hazmat404 said:
i just see a bunch of stuff on other websites about these alts giving out at like 20k-40k miles. hell my 5.0 lasted til ike 80k or so and my parents have never replaced any on any of their cars. under 40k just seems waaay too little to be right

shit mine lasted 16K!!!!! Like I said ford fucked up and put the alternator on the blower belt, and gets over spun...but I was spun the shit outta mine. :p

Just get a PA and call it a day

Kevin

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Ford alternators are not very good quality and PA is having big problems too, even with a larger alternator pulley to slow it down.

Mine lasted 4,000 miles with the oversize pulley.
It was replaced under warranty and this one still works after 6,000 miles.

PA has a lifetime warranty, but everytime it goes out, you have to have something to put in its place.

Maybe you can find someone to rebuild yours?

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well i went with a 130amp PA. worse come to worse i can have someone rebuild this one next month or something and have it as a spare if the PA decides to give out. its my DD so i cant really screw around with it not working.

on a side note, drove about 30 min to and from work today without it coming on. was scared i wasnt gonna make it but everything turned out ok for now. hopefully the PA will show up early next week but i might snag that number from you about your friend that rebuilds them so i can have a spare down the road

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
I found the Ford alternator to be the best choice. Had no problem with them when I had my 97 SHO. And if anyone has working knowledge on the labor hours it is to replace a 97 SHO alternator, you know it is a replacement you only want to do once.

The ALT is located on the left side of the motor, down by the subframe. No access from the top, only access is from the bottom, and you must remove stuff to get to it.

dsc07744.jpg

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
RD SNAKE said:
All of the problem with the alternator's are due to the fact that they are ran off the supercharger belt and over spun, another great idea by ford.

Kevin

Ford didn't build terms with 2.xx pullies so don't go knocking them, in stock form it will last years. There's a reason why warranty's go void if you modifiy a car.

on subject: yes it's your alternator.

Buy a larger alternator pulley. I know there's a huge thread on svtp about 03-04's loosing voltage at the top end due to these pulley's so try to do a little research on what to get, I'm sure Bob k. can enlighten you on the subject.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Ford's alternators are notriously weak and prone to failure. Over spinning them just adds to the problem. But they fail, even if they aren't overspun, as they come from the factory. Whether it is the basic design of the drive system that is flawed or the alternator itself, there has been a disproportionate number of failures.
Having driven Ford Fleet Duty vehicles for the last 15 years or so, I have seen failures that should not have occurred. Failures occurring on an average of every 6 months and these were not overspun, in fact they spent a majority of their brief life just idleing.
The problem is that the alternatives in a reasonable price range are proving to be just as troublesome.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
nytebyte said:
Wouldn't the alternator only be over spun only if you did a lower pulley change?

If you change the blower pulley, I don't see how that would affect the speed of the alternator since only the blower would spin faster. What am I missing?
You're not missing anything. The lower will overspin anything on the same belt, including the idlers, something a lot of people never think about.
The smaller blower pulley by itself, will only effect the blower.

BUT, even with the stock lower, the alternator is being overspun. At 6500 it is turning over 18,000 RPMs, which is probably too much.

Dan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info