• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Hesitation Up Top?

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
So I don't know why, but on the way into work I was thinking about my last trip to Byron...

During my first 2 runs that day in Nov., the car felt like it was missing up top. I took a break to pull all the plugs to make sure one didn't go bad, but didn't find anything wrong. Now I'm wondering if I was getting spark blowout. :dunno:

I don't remember feeling that missing before when it was warmer out. Could colder air increase the chances of spark blowout if I was probably running close to as wide a gap as possible? I've got Autolite AR103's right out of the box I think. So that'd be about .035 if I remember correctly...

Thanks!

Cobratom

Regular
May 14, 2004
DSG03COBRA said:
So I don't know why, but on the way into work I was thinking about my last trip to Byron...

During my first 2 runs that day in Nov., the car felt like it was missing up top. I took a break to pull all the plugs to make sure one didn't go bad, but didn't find anything wrong. Now I'm wondering if I was getting spark blowout. :dunno:

I don't remember feeling that missing before when it was warmer out. Could colder air increase the chances of spark blowout if I was probably running close to as wide a gap as possible? I've got Autolite AR103's right out of the box I think. So that'd be about .035 if I remember correctly...

Thanks!

Read my recent post on the coil pack replacement. Well work the price.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Matt, if your Whipple reacts like mine, the colder air will definitely result in more boost. I would say that with your current pulley setup .030-.032 would be a better choice. Try that before spending $500 for coils, I suspect it will fix your problem. Oh yea, get that tune dialed in too. :biggthump

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
gnxs said:
Matt, if your Whipple reacts like mine, the colder air will definitely result in more boost. I would say that with your current pulley setup .030-.032 would be a better choice. Try that before spending $500 for coils, I suspect it will fix your problem. Oh yea, get that tune dialed in too. :biggthump

Thanks Larry! Yeah, I've got a new tune ready to go and will have it all checked out at the Sutton Dyno Day.... :biggthump Glad that came up as I was waiting for a Dyno Day to save a little $$$... the joys of mail order tunes and dyno time. I'll pick up a new set of plugs and close the gap on them a little before then just to be safe...

I should just pick up a WBC... RWTD has them on sale for $369/shipped I think.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
DSG03COBRA said:

Thanks!
If you mean Autolite spark plugs thats your problem! Get rid of them, you already put all the $ in your car, with all that power you need the best plugs possible. Get either DENSO, OR NGK. Make sure they're irridium and do not gap them they come pre gapped. They r both the same no difference just Denso cost double. I run denso and I love them. But like everyone is saying u also might want 2 look into some coils. Good Luck hope u figure it out.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
FuelSlut said:
If you mean Autolite spark plugs thats your problem! Get rid of them, you already put all the $ in your car, with all that power you need the best plugs possible. Get either DENSO, OR NGK. Make sure they're irridium and do not gap them they come pre gapped. They r both the same no difference just Denso cost double. I run denso and I love them. But like everyone is saying u also might want 2 look into some coils. Good Luck hope u figure it out.

I had the NGK TR6's and the car ran like crap at idle and through about 2500 RPM's. The AR103's cleaned that issue up. Are the NGK Iridium's (7IX or something like that????) another step colder than the TR6's?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
My car was doing that too after a JLT CAI install and I though it was the plugs and belt slip too. I changed to NGK TR6's and got a shorter belt and that didn't help. It turned out that my tune had the COT (cat over temp test) was not turned off and it was causing the motor to dump tons of fuel in at higher rpms to keep the cats cool. My A/F would take a nose dive at 5500rpm everytime. All I did was flow more air with the cai and it showed its ugly head. Maybe yours is doing that too with the cooler denser air. Make sure you have your tuner check that test and disable it if not already. The can tunes from atleast diablosport come with this test turned on. You will need it turned off with the guy who did your tune. After that was disabled, I picked up like 34hp and my power and A/F stayed true to redline.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info