• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Belt squeak.....

shanker

Amateur Expert
Mar 14, 2004
A few months ago I had a 2.76 and the Billetflow idler set (using the stock belt) installed on my Cobra and I've barely driven it since. I've noticed the past few times that there is a fairly loud squeak at start up but it seems to go away after the car warms up. The tension indicator is in the normal range so I'm not sure whats up.

I can also smell what I believe is the coating on the pullies burning off like when you put a new exhaust on.

I've only put on about 200 miles since getting pullied this summer.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
shanker said:
I took the blower belt off as per Carls suggestion and started it up. The squeak is definately attributed to that belt. It's funnt because it's still in the shape of the pulley configuration.

Now who stocks '03 Cobra blower belts?

You may have to order one but Pep Boys and Napa both will either have them or can get them.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
The squeak at start up is typically caused by the belt slipping on the alternator pulley. The alternator is working harder to recharge the battery after the starter has drained it. When the alternator has built the battery back to normal, the load decreases and the slipping stops.
A new belt should solve the problem.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
Stock plenty of belts for your car I drive my car 3-4 days out of the week on average and Im replacing belts every 4-5 months. These cars eat belts, take a belt that was potentialy bad(squeaking) and compare to a new belt you will see that the ribs on the pullies actaully wore thru the areas between the ribs on the belt. As this starts to happen you will get the squeak on cold start ups and that is your car telling you its time for a new belt. The belt is basically slippin and causing the squeak....if you can get your hands on a gatorback i would go for it. Otherwise Gates belts run around $40+.

fastcarjoe

Regular
Mar 2, 2004
I don't know if belt conditioner is technically right for serpentine belts or not. It said "safe for all belts" on the can but I guess you'd have to take your chances. I get an annoying chirping when the engine is cold, the spray fixes it for a few weeks. My belt is about a year old.

FUNDAD

Big Trouble in Little China
Apr 6, 2005
GREAT POST!!!!

I am having the same shit with my Whipple set up. At startup idle ( from after sitting a few days) I can hear a kind of squeek noise off and on. I didnt know what the hell to think. I guess I need a new belt and maybe a few turns on the RR tensioner.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info