• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

TICK me off - need help with ticking sound

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
So one afternoon about a month ago, I pull into the garage after completing a 50 mile trip with mostly highway miles.

As I roll into the garage and stop, I hear a ticking sound coming from the engine. At first, I think "oh f-ck, my car has finally developed the dreaded "head tick" after 32,000 miles.

I felt sick.

It's like finding out that you have VD and need to attend a support group to talk about it. "Hi, my name is Nytebyte and I have The Clap". :(

Then I realized that I might be low on oil. For some reason, if I don't have exactly 6-3/4 quarts of oil in my engine, I get a "tapping" noise. But this didn't sound like that low oil tapping noise and was more of a "tick". I checked the oil and it was fine. I even added a bit more, just in case and ticking didn't change. The tick also sounded like it was coming from somewhere beneath the blower and not from any specific side. It was equally as loud on passenger side as it was on the drivers side.

I drove the car sparingly for the next few weeks and began to notice a few things of interest:

- The ticking noise didn't occur at all when the engine was cold or even slightly warm.
- The engine oil had to reach full operating temperature before the tick was audible.
- The tick only occurred right at idle and immediately went away when increasing the revs even slightly beyond idle speed.
- Over those few weeks, the amplitude of the tick increased only slightly.

I used a high quality digital recorder to make some sound clips of the tick. Click on the links below to hear them.
Tick - Top of engine

Tick - Bottom of engine

For some reason, in the back of my mind, I felt that it had something to do with the engine oil. The oil was about due for change anyway, so yesterday I changed it and put in 6-3/4 quarts of Amsoil 5W-30. According to my logs, the old oil had about 2000 miles on it but it was about 6 months old. It also had one open track event on it.

After I finished the oil change, I took the car out for a spin. When I returned and pulled back into the garage, I fully expected to hear that damned ticking noise again, but I didn't. It was gone.

Just in case it was some kind of fluke, I took the car out again today for a nice long ride and the tick is still gone. :dunno:

I'm happy but confused. What the hell caused that noise?! Here are some working theories that I have from least likely to most likely.

3. The engine oil was still low and I somehow misread the dipstick.
2. The valve in the old oil filter was somehow making noise.
1. The old oil filter was so clogged that I had a low oil pressure condition at idle.

That's really all I can think of, but I'm not exactly an experienced mechanic.

Do any of you have an idea of what it could've been?

Do you think this tick will return?

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Well from what I have got from the tick is this.

Early 03 production dates are the worst for the head tick.
When you get the tick, It is always there (never goes away), always get louder little by little.

When you have piston slap, It is persent when cold but goes away when warm.

I had a very early production date 03 (not sure what date, car is under a cover now). anyways. I started getting a tick also around 11k or so. It never went away, it got very loud very quikly. Turned out when I torn down the engine, my #7 piston was cracked.

Also engine oil/fliter would have not effect on a tick unless, you were VERY low on oil, maybe 4 ot's or so.

Your best bet would be start saving a little extra cash incase you have to rebuild heads/engine or both :dunno:

Never the less, I wouldn't get bent out of shape over the whole thing. Just keep driving it fearless untill something happens and be ready for it when it does happen, unlike me. I put on almost 8-9k since I heard the tick with almost no problems.

Also search Mfords & SVTP for more info and some vids

Hope this helps, PM me if you have any more questions.

Kevin

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I forgot to mention that one of the first things I checked was the plugs.

After reading all those horror stories about plugs being shot out of heads, I figured I'd better check them.

So, as I understand it, with the "head tick" problem, the noise was present no matter what temperature? Even when the engine was cold?

I do have an early run Cobra (June '02 build), but I figured the tick would've shown up by now if it was ever gonna happen.

sschassis

Senior Nilater
Jul 6, 2005
nytebyte said:
So one afternoon about a month ago, I pull into the garage after completing a 50 mile trip with mostly highway miles.

As I roll into the garage and stop, I hear a ticking sound coming from the engine. At first, I think "oh f-ck, my car has finally developed the dreaded "head tick" after 32,000 miles.

I felt sick.

It's like finding out that you have VD and need to attend a support group to talk about it. "Hi, my name is Nytebyte and I have The Clap". :(

Then I realized that I might be low on oil. For some reason, if I don't have exactly 6-3/4 quarts of oil in my engine, I get a "tapping" noise. But this didn't sound like that low oil tapping noise and was more of a "tick". I checked the oil and it was fine. I even added a bit more, just in case and ticking didn't change. The tick also sounded like it was coming from somewhere beneath the blower and not from any specific side. It was equally as loud on passenger side as it was on the drivers side.

I drove the car sparingly for the next few weeks and began to notice a few things of interest:

- The ticking noise didn't occur at all when the engine was cold or even slightly warm.
- The engine oil had to reach full operating temperature before the tick was audible.
- The tick only occurred right at idle and immediately went away when increasing the revs even slightly beyond idle speed.
- Over those few weeks, the amplitude of the tick increased only slightly.

I used a high quality digital recorder to make some sound clips of the tick. Click on the links below to hear them.
Tick - Top of engine

Tick - Bottom of engine

For some reason, in the back of my mind, I felt that it had something to do with the engine oil. The oil was about due for change anyway, so yesterday I changed it and put in 6-3/4 quarts of Amsoil 5W-30. According to my logs, the old oil had about 2000 miles on it but it was about 6 months old. It also had one open track event on it.

After I finished the oil change, I took the car out for a spin. When I returned and pulled back into the garage, I fully expected to hear that damned ticking noise again, but I didn't. It was gone.

Just in case it was some kind of fluke, I took the car out again today for a nice long ride and the tick is still gone. :dunno:

I'm happy but confused. What the hell caused that noise?! Here are some working theories that I have from least likely to most likely.

3. The engine oil was still low and I somehow misread the dipstick.
2. The valve in the old oil filter was somehow making noise.
1. The old oil filter was so clogged that I had a low oil pressure condition at idle.

That's really all I can think of, but I'm not exactly an experienced mechanic.

Do any of you have an idea of what it could've been?

Do you think this tick will return?

:mecry: your ticking is loud if you hear that on end of tail pipe most likely be in you valve train & very much you can tell which side its
check for broking rockers that happen to me before.. also my be you lifters to or rocker follower these are the noisiest moving part on that head be side valves & cams

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
My June of 02 produced 03 Cobra never had the tick (well at least I didn't think so) until 27000 miles and it started when cold and then went away as it warmed up, however, at 2100RPM's it was so loud my neighboors were answering their doors after I drove by thinking that someone was knocking.

I got it warranteed on a 80/20 deal even though it was well over 36 months and delivered in June of 02. Relationships are everything. Good luck.

cobraj

TCG Elite Member
Feb 7, 2005
Since 1964 said:
My June of 02 produce 03 Cobra never had the tick (well at least I didn't think so) until 27000 miles and it started when cold and then went away as it warmed up, however, at 2100RPM's it was so loud my neighboors were answering their doors after I drove by thinking that someone was knocking.

I got it warranteed on a 80/20 deal even though it was well over 36 months and delivered in June of 02. Relationships are everything. Good luck.

were you modded when it happened?? Dealer didnt care??

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
nytebyte said:
I forgot to mention that one of the first things I checked was the plugs.

After reading all those horror stories about plugs being shot out of heads, I figured I'd better check them.

So, as I understand it, with the "head tick" problem, the noise was present no matter what temperature? Even when the engine was cold?

I do have an early run Cobra (June '02 build), but I figured the tick would've shown up by now if it was ever gonna happen.
yea you dont have to worry about the 4.6 shooting plugs out of the heads, its the early 5.4s like in the lightning, f150s, navigators, expeditions. 4.6 dont have a history of that. But anyway that sounds like the valves, take it in before ur warranty expires. The 03-04 cobras heads(valves) generally r loud, and early models r louder, but I have never heard one loud as yours. TAKE IT IN!!!

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
nytebyte said:
But now the noise is completely gone since I've changed the oil. I'm guessing I had an oil pressure problem due to a clogged oil filter.
I hope that thats all it was, and if so hope that it didnt due any damage w low oil pressure. I know for a fact that SVT and their dealers are aware of the TICK. They have reworked heads in some cobras. If it comes back dont hesitate to take it in, and dont let them BS you they know about it, there has been plenty of complaints.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info