• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

KB 2.4 pulley questions, Whipple guys cmon in too!

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Searched a bit a couldnt find the info I'm looking for. Dana gave me a good reply on Modfords, I just wanted to see whatcha local guys have to say about it.

I will more than likely have a 2.4 going on the car shortly. My dilema is that I was to run it @ 17-18 PSI on the street-pump gas (hopefully will delay the inevitable), and kill mode will be 23-25 PSI on a race tune and race gas (110 octane).

I have a 10 lb lower available to use and would like to use it on kill mode to reduce belt slippage. I was thinking a 10lb lower and a 3.75" or 3.5" upper for the track.

But then the dilema for the street is with a 10 lb lower and 4" upper (largest I have seen) is 21 PSI, which is too much for pump. I have no problem swapping lowers for track days, but then the alternator problem arises.

What size, if any, would be appropriate for the alternator to let me use a 10lb lower and a 6lb lower (street)??

I dont necessarily have to use the 10 lb lower, but want as little belt slippage as possible @ ~24 PSI.

How much slippage could there be with say, a 6 lb lower and a 3" upper for 25 PSI? I do have a RR manual tensioner, BTW, and an aux idler. So that would be for the track, and then a 6lb lower and 4" upper for 17 PSI street?

Or, if there is a better pulley solution that would fulfill both PSI ranges, please let me know

Thanks
Jason

03RedCobra

Oct 9, 2005
I've got the 2.4L K/B, with a 6# Lower.

I use a 3.75" upper on street duty (~17#)

I use a 3.50" upper for track duty (~21#)

I have on a 3.70" diameter Alternator pulley. Now, with that size, I have had problems with 2 Alternators, but then again, they were PA-Alternators, so, I think no matter what size pulley I had on there, there was still probably going to be a problem anyhow. I switched back to a stock alternator with the 3.70" pulley, and have had no problems for about 1000-miles.

With the 10# lower, I'm not sure what diameter alternator pulley you would need, but probably somewhere in the neighborhood of close to 4". There is a chart on ModularFords.com that has been posted several times, and it gives recommendations on pulley sizes for alternators, and I believe they do use a 10# pulley as one of the examples.

I hope with that 91-Octane gas you have to use, that you are not running too much timing ?? I have 17-degrees of timing on my street tune, with 93-Octane.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• JA$ON
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list