• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Vibration

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Got a weird vibration, so I figured I would post up to see if anyone has any ideas.

The vibe is VERY noticeable, but only when in 5th or 6th gear and gets worse the faster you go, especially over 70-75 mph. If I downshift to 4th, the vibe goes away.

The car is damn near un-drivable on the highway now. :(

Any ideas?

Am I looking at a tranny rebuild? :dunno:

blubyu

TCG Elite Member
Nov 7, 2004
That sucks, why are you thinking it's possibly the tranny? Does it feel like it's right under you?

Hope it's just something loose or a worn mount or something.

I had a bad vibe in my 460 LTD and it was somewhat similar (under heavy load). It was the ujoints.

Good luck in figuring it out!

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
blubyu said:
That sucks, why are you thinking it's possibly the tranny? Does it feel like it's right under you?

Hope it's just something loose or a worn mount or something.

I had a bad vibe in my 460 LTD and it was somewhat similar (under heavy load). It was the ujoints.

Good luck in figuring it out!

I guessed tranny because the vibe is only in 5th and 6th gear. I don't feel the vibe at all running 1st-4th up to redline (1/4 mile pass), but as soon as I shift in to 5th or 6th (at any speed) it starts to vibe. :dunno:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Wiked03 said:
I had that thought too... but why would it only vibe in 5th or 6th?

I don't know. Vibration can have weird causes/effects. The wheel bearings cost $0 to check so might as well start there.

Maybe someone knows if 5th and 6th are run off the same gears in the transmission? If your car is vibrating only in 5th and 6th at any speed, that does sound like the trans.

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
Wiked03 said:
I guessed tranny because the vibe is only in 5th and 6th gear. I don't feel the vibe at all running 1st-4th up to redline (1/4 mile pass), but as soon as I shift in to 5th or 6th (at any speed) it starts to vibe. :dunno:

call up DRC in elk grove or g-force and inquire about that, if its transmission issues a trans shop would be the place to start. they can usually do a good estimate of what it might be over the phone if you can discribe the issue well enough

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
zenriddles said:
+1

Sounds like it might be a halfshaft problem, assuming you still have the IRS in it. This happens a on MN - 12 Tbirds/ Cougars/ Mk 8's when the rear end IRS setup gets sloppy in the CV's.

re-read

damn carl that sucks, it seems like nothing but problems since the soild was in...u-joints/drivershaft mis aligment???

notice the soild?

:p

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
Well...Since you described as only in those gears gotta say it's in the trans. What rpm does this happen at? is the rpm the same in both 5th and 6th? Could be a clutch/t.o.b. problem as well. I'll see if i can borrow a very handy vibration device from my work this weekend and we can narrow it down big time. It's called an E.V.A. II and it will tell us if it's driveline, wheel, or engine speed and that should help.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
cyac5l8trfcar said:
Well...Since you described as only in those gears gotta say it's in the trans. What rpm does this happen at? is the rpm the same in both 5th and 6th? Could be a clutch/t.o.b. problem as well. I'll see if i can borrow a very handy vibration device from my work this weekend and we can narrow it down big time. It's called an E.V.A. II and it will tell us if it's driveline, wheel, or engine speed and that should help.

Doesn't seem to RPM specific, although it does get wore as the RPMs climb. :dunno:

That would be awesome! Let me know if you can.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Carl, Did you check your pinion angle after you fixed your control arms? Like a couple people mentioned before pinion angle might be something to look at. If it has to much negative pinion angle while cruising it can cause the U-joints to bind and cause a vibration. You don't notice it under acceleration because the rear end housing is rotated and it brings the pinion up. Then when you get off the throttle and shift to 5th & 6th and not under heavy load the rear end rotates back done and binds the u-joints again. I have seen that a few times before.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info