• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

New best 1.45 60', then I blew up the rear end..again..?'s

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Just another fun day at the track :-o First run out on the bottle last night, 1050 PSI like always, left at a pretty low RPM for me, about 4200, hit the spray and pull a new best 1.45 60'. Go to pull second and car had a major hiccup, which I now believe was the FRPS starting to take a crap. I still pulled the gears to see how I was trapping, 132 MPH on a 10.9....eh, ok car had a big hiccup and cost me some ET but the MPH was promising.

Next pass, same deal, maybe left a few hundred RPM's higher, hit the spray outta the hole, and BOOM :( Blew the rear up again.

With the 33 spline Moser spool and axles, I can only assume it chewed up the gears again. These were 3.90 MOTIVE gears, just replaced, after chewing 4 teeth off my last set of Motive 3.90's.

Hans set them up, and we all know how meticulous he is about details and assured me the wear pattern and specs were dead on the money, since he must be sick of seeing my car this year and wants the damn thing outta there :D

If my car is chewing up gears, is there another problem that may need to be addressed? Something thats throwing them outta whack after some time? Or are Motive gears just junk?

I will be honest, my car has a spool, and I drive it on the street occasionally, and these gears probably only had 150 miles on them, but had gone through a few heat cycles.

Somebody give me something....anything to get checked out, this is just crazy!

Also, to make matters worse, the car wouldnt start in the pits, dipstick smelled like gas, so hopefully thats just the FRPS. And the DS of the car dropped down like 2 inches almost hitting my 28's, god knows what else broke, what a fuggin night

Big props go out to Dave Gussin, one of our newest members and cool guy. Lets just say he helped me out with towing my car back to Elburn from GLD. And thanks for the ride in the GT500, sweet ass ride BTW.

B

Boost12

Jason last night sucked for the both of us but more you than me!!! :cool: Im glad you guys got the car home and I would have trailered it for you if my car did not break. My intercooler setup ended up going out after the first pass so I had to put it on the trailer at like 2pm and sit around all day :crying: Im just lucky the motor did not blow because I had no idea the pump wasent working until after the car backfired and blew a bunch of black smoke out on my second pass :eek:h: Air inlets rose to over 300 degrees when the intercooler was not working :eek: ..Note to self.. :rolleyes: Make sure the pump is working before all my passes from now on :lmao: :lmao: Me and you have some crazy luck Jason thats for sure!!!!

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
RD SNAKE said:
+2 any gear ive ever used was a ford motorsport. If you look at the infor on 3.73 they say they are cut a special way or something :dunno:

Not yet, because the 3.90's were ideal for my setup, but Motives will not be going back in the car ever again, just need to decide 3.73 or 4.10's Motorsport gears now. My setup will probably be changing again over the winter so I need to gigure out what gears will work the best with 28's

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Boost12 said:
Jason last night sucked for the both of us but more you than me!!! :cool: Im glad you guys got the car home and I would have trailered it for you if my car did not break. My intercooler setup ended up going out after the first pass so I had to put it on the trailer at like 2pm and sit around all day :crying: Im just lucky the motor did not blow because I had no idea the pump wasent working until after the car backfired and blew a bunch of black smoke out on my second pass :eek:h: Air inlets rose to over 300 degrees when the intercooler was not working :eek: ..Note to self.. :rolleyes: Make sure the pump is working before all my passes from now on :lmao: :lmao: Me and you have some crazy luck Jason thats for sure!!!!

What do you use to datalog the car with as far as software? Just the SCT stuff and a laptop, because I am going to be looking into datalogging every run as well.

B

Boost12

firstsvt said:
What do you use to datalog the car with as far as software? Just the SCT stuff and a laptop, because I am going to be looking into datalogging every run as well.
Right now I just use a Diablo sport for logging and it seems to work pretty good because it is so simple and the only thing I keep an eye on is the Air inlets anyways so it works out good. But congrats on the 60ft time man!!!! :headbang:

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Boost12 said:
Right now I just use a Diablo sport for logging and it seems to work pretty good because it is so simple and the only thing I keep an eye on is the Air inlets anyways so it works out good. But congrats on the 60ft time man!!!! :headbang:

You use a Predator or a laptop? I have a Predator and never used it to log, can it playback the data or do you actually watch it during a pass :dunno:

1BADSNAKE

BAR-NONE
Jun 26, 2006
firstsvt said:
Not yet, because the 3.90's were ideal for my setup, but Motives will not be going back in the car ever again, just need to decide 3.73 or 4.10's Motorsport gears now. My setup will probably be changing again over the winter so I need to gigure out what gears will work the best with 28's

Yeh Jason! That really sucked last night man! I hope u get everything squared away and best of luck to you next time! Glad i was there to help!

B

Boost12

firstsvt said:
You use a Predator or a laptop? I have a Predator and never used it to log, can it playback the data or do you actually watch it during a pass :dunno:
Yea I just use the predator. I just go up to the line hit the log button before the burnout and I log the whole run and then you are able to just play it back to see whats going on... :biggthump

markm3673

Feb 21, 2006
if your looking for a motorsports gears you might have some trouble finding the real ford gears because motorsports is not buying the gears from the ford gear plant anymore and now motive is now the new suplier for the motorsport gears and i have looked at them and there is no way i will put one of those gears in my car or a customers car there are junk and i know a few people that have done the same firstsvt. you can get gear kit for the explorer they are about $80 more for a 3.73 but they come with all the bearings the pinion seal and the nut and crush coller pinion shim kit the new motorsports gear(motive gear) only comes wtih the gear and the ford gear is a cnc'd matched gear set if you need one pm me the 3.55s are more money and the 4.10s from ford get really pricey
not to many people know that this has happend hope it helps some one

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
firstsvt said:

pro 5.0 offers a 3.90 gear i believe

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Motive gears. I assume you have an 8.8? How many times have you broken your gears? Do you have a support/girdled cover? How did you break in the new gears?

Regardless, 1.45 60's is a lot of strain, even for an 8.8. When it comes to racing, sometimes shit just breaks.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
markm3673 said:
yes, you may still find some one that has the ford gear sets left but we have some of the new ones at work and they are motive gears

So how do I know if they are Ford gears or Motives, any markings on the ring or pinion? Or part # difference?

On a side note, could driving on the street with a spool mess the gears up at all? I really dont even drive it that much on the street?

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Aron said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Motive gears. I assume you have an 8.8? How many times have you broken your gears? Do you have a support/girdled cover? How did you break in the new gears?

Regardless, 1.45 60's is a lot of strain, even for an 8.8. When it comes to racing, sometimes shit just breaks.

If there is nothing wrong with them, then why do people have problems with them constantly making noise, or breaking, like in my case? This WAS my second set of Motive 3.90's. They had a handful of heat cycles through them and maybe 150 miles.....

My rear is is built like a brick shithouse, thick T/A cover, welded tubes, new CHE axle brace, 33 spline axles and spool. Nothin else is breakin in there except the damn gears.

What else could cause the gears to get messed up? Driving on the street with a spool? Motives may be OK, but something is wrong if I keep going through them like this.

Motive sponsors cars alot faster than mine, I wouldnt expect a car that 60's in the 1.4's to be so much trouble with gears.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
firstsvt said:
If there is nothing wrong with them, then why do people have problems with them constantly making noise, or breaking, like in my case? This WAS my second set of Motive 3.90's. They had a handful of heat cycles through them and maybe 150 miles.....

My rear is is built like a brick shithouse, thick T/A cover, welded tubes, new CHE axle brace, 33 spline axles and spool. Nothin else is breakin in there except the damn gears.

What else could cause the gears to get messed up? Driving on the street with a spool? Motives may be OK, but something is wrong if I keep going through them like this.

Motive sponsors cars alot faster than mine, I wouldnt expect a car that 60's in the 1.4's to be so much trouble with gears.

You should be fine driving on the street occasionally, as that shouldn't affect the spool at all. You can break the spool on the street if you're turning too fast and have good traction though, but that's not your problem right now.

What causes the ring and pinion gears to break in the Salisbury type rear ends (Ford 8.8, GM 7.5, etc) is gear walk. On hard acceleration, the pinion gear wants to climb the ring gear. That creates all kind of chaos with the meshing, and sometimes will cause whining, chipped teeth, or in the most sever cases, teeth being stripped off.

I know what you're going through. I've broken 4 ring and pinion sets, the worst of which I broke 36 teeth off the ring gear, and 7 teeth off the pinion gear (out of 41/10) while spraying the car on the launch.

What's your launch technique? Trans brake? Spray out of the hole? You may just be beyond the limits of an 8.8, built or not, and may need to step up to a 9".

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Aron said:
You should be fine driving on the street occasionally, as that shouldn't affect the spool at all. You can break the spool on the street if you're turning too fast and have good traction though, but that's not your problem right now.

What causes the ring and pinion gears to break in the Salisbury type rear ends (Ford 8.8, GM 7.5, etc) is gear walk. On hard acceleration, the pinion gear wants to climb the ring gear. That creates all kind of chaos with the meshing, and sometimes will cause whining, chipped teeth, or in the most sever cases, teeth being stripped off.

I know what you're going through. I've broken 4 ring and pinion sets, the worst of which I broke 36 teeth off the ring gear, and 7 teeth off the pinion gear (out of 41/10) while spraying the car on the launch.

What's your launch technique? Trans brake? Spray out of the hole? You may just be beyond the limits of an 8.8, built or not, and may need to step up to a 9".

Spraying right off the line, hold 4200 RPMS, when lights come down, floor it and hold on! Hits the tires REAL hard, obviously. I hope I havent maxed out the 8.8 but I actually had that thought last night......There are plenty of guys on Modfords.com leaving as hard or harder than me (1.3-1.4's) on twin screws and spray though, and they aint breaking gears like I do, there has to be another problem......

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
firstsvt said:
Spraying right off the line, hold 4200 RPMS, when lights come down, floor it and hold on! Hits the tires REAL hard, obviously. I hope I havent maxed out the 8.8 but I actually had that thought last night......There are plenty of guys on Modfords.com leaving as hard or harder than me (1.3-1.4's) on twin screws and spray though, and they aint breaking gears like I do, there has to be another problem......

I would try not spraying right off the line...at least not the whole shot. Maybe check out a progressive controller so you're not getting the whole hit at once, or even a MSD window switch so it hits a couple hundred RPM off the line.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Aron said:
I would try not spraying right off the line...at least not the whole shot. Maybe check out a progressive controller so you're not getting the whole hit at once, or even a MSD window switch so it hits a couple hundred RPM off the line.

I'm on a window switch (3000-6400). My point is that there are guys leaving harder than me, with more power, that 60' in the 1.3's on the 8.8. It has to be the gears, something throwing the gears out of whack after they are installed, or an installation issue. The 8.8 can handle it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info