• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Looks like its time to sell the 03...

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
im not sold...

"A word of warning to all Shelby GT 500 owners out there. This car has a totally unique electronic control system, not seen on any other Ford (not even the Ford GT). The drive by wire system will take power away if you pulley the car, and then add it back in slowly. The car could be given what is thought to be a *safe* tune on the dyno, but then blow up a few days later."

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Flyn high again said:
They need that power because of the weight.
True.

But even so, some guy on SVTP ran 12.1@116 with just DRs in a Vert. Thats pretty impressive for a 4200lb stock car with driver. Hell, Evolution has already ran 10s at full weight with 560rwhp...thats not that far off from the power a full weight 03 needs to go that fast.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
hj16 said:
True.

But even so, some guy on SVTP ran 12.1@116 with just DRs in a Vert. Thats pretty impressive for a 4200lb stock car with driver. Hell, Evolution has already ran 10s at full weight with 560rwhp...thats not that far off from the power a full weight 03 needs to go that fast.

The extra weight creates extra problems. Brakes, suspension, drive train all have to work harder and will have shorter lifetimes because of the weight. The new Cobra [I know it's labelled a Shelby] is a nice car that would have been awesome if Ford had tried harder to put it on a diet. Imagine this power/frame/suspension in a 3,500 lb. car. :burnout:

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
Flyn high again said:
They need that power because of the weight. I'll wait until the Cuda and Camaro come out before deciding on a new ride. Let's enjoy some muscle car wars again until the government, insurance companies and oil companies shut the muscle cars down like they did in 1973.
i cant wait for the wars as well. Its a shame with the technology we have, ford couldnt make a lighter car. But the oil companies will kill us all. Heck as american oil companies are the highest grossing companies in the world, the politicians will bow down to them.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
dun4791 said:
Just dont buy an 07, wait another year, year and a half.
Word. It wouldnt even think about happening till the 09 models come out. With the restyling waiting on the horizon I pity the fool who doesnt wait.

Plus, if I do end up wanting a 07/08 after I see the 09s Ill be able to pick one up for hella cheap.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Flyn high again said:
The extra weight creates extra problems. Brakes, suspension, drive train all have to work harder and will have shorter lifetimes because of the weight. The new Cobra [I know it's labelled a Shelby] is a nice car that would have been awesome if Ford had tried harder to put it on a diet. Imagine this power/frame/suspension in a 3,500 lb. car. :burnout:
Clifford, you act like its 1000lbs heavier than a 03. Its 200lbs, while this blows (and blows very hard) its something you can get around if you have the cubic dollars.

And if the GT500 weighed 3500lbs Im pretty sure you'd have 20,000 03/04s for sale. :burnout:

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
SLASH said:
im not sold...

"A word of warning to all Shelby GT 500 owners out there. This car has a totally unique electronic control system, not seen on any other Ford (not even the Ford GT). The drive by wire system will take power away if you pulley the car, and then add it back in slowly. The car could be given what is thought to be a *safe* tune on the dyno, but then blow up a few days later."

NUMBER 1 REASON WHY THE GTO IS GOING IN FOR A DYNO TUNE NEXT WED. boo

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
its only 200 pounds heavier than a terminator and has gobs more torque.

Flyn high again said:

ExplorerThis

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2004
Hank you suck at driving.....any car you have will be slow....for christ sake you have a 500rwhp 03 and you can't get any decent times out of it....

The gt500's are ugly....Dgussin had his tuned and is only running 12.80's...wow thats fast....

P.S. I dont think you mom is ready to foot the bill for the gt500 for you :)

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
ExplorerThis said:
Hank you suck at driving.....any car you have will be slow....for christ sake you have a 500rwhp 03 and you can't get any decent times out of it....

The gt500's are ugly....Dgussin had his tuned and is only running 12.80's...wow thats fast....

P.S. I dont think you mom is ready to foot the bill for the gt500 for you :)
Hold a sec. Ive ran 12.0@119 with 490rwhp on 18" DRs

You've ran 11.5s@123 with 550rwhp on 17" MTs

Dgussin ran that at 5000' DA... that alone is basicly -80rwhp. And if you saw the video you'd see how he was all over the place on those wore out ET Streets. He put a 1/2 car on a lighter 03 with exhaust/tune/2.80/4.10s and a better tire. He'll be here in Chicago very soon, so you can run him when he arrives.

P.S. - Nope, and I wont have the luck of getting re-ended this time either. But luckily having a Masters brings in some damn good money really quick. :)

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
The GT500 seems like a very nice car.

It's unfortunate that it's heavier than the 03 / 04 Cobra's but it still seems to perform well. Isn't the added weight due partially to the new chassis?

I'm sure tuners will eventually figure out the electronic throttle system and work the bugs out. I'd still like to see how they perform around a real race track before passing final judgement.

Someday I'd like to see Ford produce a real sports car for the masses. Something with AWD, turbocharged 450 HP stock, close to 3000 lbs and a sticker price of under $45K. Probably never happen though.

donkeypunchr

I heart boobs
Sep 1, 2005
well I am not sure how many of these parts are the same on the gt500 as the mustang gt but here's one guy's formula (from modular fords) to rid his car of 300lbs.

dynomax bullet mufflers on an off road h-pipe lostabout 50lbs.
tubular Aarms and Kmember coilovers rad support lost about 120lbs.
bogart wheels with m/t e.t.fronts and bias ply e.t. streets(no tubes) lost 100lbs.
aluminum driveshaft(ranger conversion) lost about 30lbs.

just thought I'd throw that idea into the mix...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info