• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Overheating...

CobraCommander

Rice & Beans
Mar 27, 2005
I have no idea what is wrong with my Cobra, but for some reason it started overheating really badly today.

The res was boiling and overflowing from under the cap, plus there looked to be coolant spray/spatter on the front areas of the engine. It all looks to be coming from the tank under extreme pressure, but what the hell is going on?

Could it be the waterpump or a stuck thermostat?

Here's a thought, but it doesnt make sense really... Could I have blown the waterpump with the lower pulley upgrade? As far as I know the belt routing is from the crank to the alt and then to the blower, but could this be a possibility?

It just started today out of nowhere...

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
2003_SVT/CBR1100 said:
I have no idea what is wrong with my Cobra, but for some reason it started overheating really badly today.

The res was boiling and overflowing from under the cap, plus there looked to be coolant spray/spatter on the front areas of the engine. It all looks to be coming from the tank under extreme pressure, but what the hell is going on?

Could it be the waterpump or a stuck thermostat?

Here's a thought, but it doesnt make sense really... Could I have blown the waterpump with the lower pulley upgrade? As far as I know the belt routing is from the crank to the alt and then to the blower, but could this be a possibility?

It just started today out of nowhere...

The waterpump is on the inner belt, not the blower belt.

I would check the thermostat. Other than that, I am not sure.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
not to alert you, but in addition to what others are saying, you might have hurt a head gasket... the original tune was for 13lbs of boost with an a/f of 11.5ish and a timing map to match that and now you have the cryo and making 18lbs of boost.. i really HOPE thats not the issue, but its a possibility...

CobraCommander

Rice & Beans
Mar 27, 2005
The car runs fine other than the overheating...

The fans kick on normally and there is no burning-coolant smell other than what sprays out from under the cap on the front of the engine..

I've popped head gaskets before on the tbird and if it drained into a cylinder, i would have smelled/seen the exhaust and if it came out, it would have smoked from the heads... The idle is perfect, very stable, no sputtering or anything tell-tale of a HG attack.

The car just seemed to do it after running for a bit with the AC on this afternoon. Not even beating on it (rain). For that much pressure buildup to spray out from under the cap like that, it just looks like some kind of blockage or thermostat stuck.

I saw 18psi on the gauge for a second under boost with the kit, but mostly it sustained its NORMAL boost levels consistently when running hot. Basically it was like running the car on a cold day...

I was curious about a possible air bubble in the system somewhere, but the car was too hot to even try to remove the cap before I dropped it at the shop. I was on my way to Speed to leave it this week for some shit and just asked them to look into it.

At one point, while I was letting it cool down, with the engine (and key off), I heard a wierd creaking noise from the upper radiator hose area (passenger side front) and then a "whoosh" or hissing sound. (Well after the car was shut off, BTW)

The symptoms point to thermostat, but I have no idea.

Car starts and runs fine
No coolant smells from exhaust
No burning coolant until it begins spraying from the tank
All "smoke" eminating from the tank area
No idle surges or sputtering, even when temp rising
Allow the engine to cool down, runs alright for a short time and then temp shoots up gradually. It is not instantaneous.
Extreme pressure buildup in the coolant tank

I am tempted to go back there tonight and try and "burp" the system. I know that on the Tbird, there used to be a breather thing that stood up off the engine that when filling the rad, you had to leave this off...

From what I know about HG issues, this doesnt seem the case here. HA, I just got the bottle refilled and went through the whole thing the first night. Since then I've driven the car without any issues other than it running rich at WOT due to where the bulb from the Cryo kit was installed, but that will be remedied...

CobraCommander

Rice & Beans
Mar 27, 2005
Went and messed with it for a bit...

Absolutely cold, the res was near empty, but I decided to start it and see if there was a possibility of an air bubble in the system. I let it idle for a while, gave it a couple revs to get it warmed up and it started to climb toward the H, so I shut it down.

Before killing it, I watched the coolant level sit in the res, swirl around a little and move slightly. There was little to no movement at all, but about 5 mins after shut down, it burped twice and sent coolant out through the top...

I have no idea WTF that was, but whatever... So I drove my happyass to the store, got some coolant and returned. I took over an hour or more and when I returned, the temp gauge was still reading 1/4 past the C and the res had drained down to near empty. (It gurgled a lot out and lost most, if not all of it, by spraying out from under the cap)

Anyway, I filled it up and went for a spin...The temp gauge stayed straight up for quite some time, I even took it into boost a couple times and drove a little harder... No overheating yet, but upon reaching the lot, I let it sit for a min and then revd it up a couple times and up it went...I burped the res, but the coolant was anything but hot.

I checked the exhaust for smells and nosed around the heads, but nothing showed the signs of anything catastropic. No bubbles in the coolant and the oil doesnt smell of anything other than oil, so I dont think the gasket cracked.

So I think it is either a stuck thermostat or clogged radiator.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
2003_SVT/CBR1100 said:
Anyway, I filled it up and went for a spin...The temp gauge stayed straight up for quite some time, I even took it into boost a couple times and drove a little harder... No overheating yet, but upon reaching the lot, I let it sit for a min and then revd it up a couple times and up it went...I burped the res, but the coolant was anything but hot.

How and where did you fill the coolant?

blubyu

TCG Elite Member
Nov 7, 2004
gnxs said:
You need to follow the Ford filling procedure and fill it through the opening in the pipe on the driver side of the engine, otherwise you might never get all the air out of the system.

+1 you need to burp from the highest point in the system which is the crossover tube or you will never get the air out and it will constantly overheat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info