• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Brake Bleeding - screwed up, now I need help

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
last saturday I decided to bleed my brakes.

I rented the vacuum brake bleeding kit from Advanced auto..

but unkown to me (I never bled more than one caliper in an old car) I got air in the line.. the Advance kit sucked arse, it didn't get a good seal and the pressure kinda sucked..

so after attempting to only bleed on caliper rigt rear... I found the brake pedal really soft.

so I decided to do the traditional two person method and bleed all for corners in the following sequence, Left front, right front, left rear, right rear

I'm 100% certain that all lines were completely bled, the stock fuild was dirty and the new fluid was much clearer and I could see the transition.

back to my issue, the pedal still bottoms out on any moderate braking, but it's barely driveable.

I've read that I may need to cylce the ABS in order to fully get all the air out.. is there any way to do this without a trip to the dealer?

any Advice....

thanks in advance

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
You have to start at the furthest corner from the master cylinder and work your way in. Passenger rear/driver's rear/passenger front/driver's front. I'm not sure if you should bleed the master cylinder before or after you bleed the calipers. If Vince can't make it, I could probably come over Sunday. Lyle and I did his and it took several days of bleeding/driving to finally get the air out of the lines.

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
I've got all you guys #'s so expect a call after mid night J/K

the Mityvac booklet says to blead from the closest to the furthest.. which is what I did...

I haven't bled the master cylinder yet.. I'll do that in a little bit.

and then I'll take it for a shot trip and bleed all four corners again

Redman

Bad a$$ 2V
May 10, 2005
Usually on abs equipped vehicles you need to hook up a scan tool to electronically open abs solenoids so you can bleed the lines properly.

If you can not figure this out let me know And I might just be able to lend you the propper scanner and the ford service manual.

Redman

Bad a$$ 2V
May 10, 2005
Redman said:
Usually on abs equipped vehicles you need to hook up a scan tool to electronically open abs solenoids so you can bleed the lines properly.

If you can not figure this out let me know And I might just be able to lend you the propper scanner and the ford service manual.

Nevermind. That is only if you have replaced the abs unit.

Here is a copied and pasted section from the ford shop manual.

Bleeding — System Printable View (190 KB)
Manual

WARNING: Carefully read cautionary information on product label. For EMERGENCY MEDICAL INFORMATION seek medical advice. In the USA or Canada on Ford/Motorcraft products call: 1-800-959-3673. For additional information, consult the product Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) if available. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

CAUTION: Do not allow the brake master cylinder reservoir to run dry during the bleeding operation. Keep the brake master cylinder reservoir filled with the specified brake fluid. Never reuse the brake fluid that has been drained from the hydraulic system.

CAUTION: Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water.

NOTE: When any part of the hydraulic system has been disconnected for repair or installation of new components, air can get into the system and cause spongy brake pedal action. This requires bleeding of the hydraulic system after it has been correctly connected. The hydraulic system can be bled manually or with pressure bleeding equipment.

Clean all dirt from and remove the brake master cylinder filler cap and fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with the specified brake fluid.

Place a box end wrench on the RH rear bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH rear bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.

Have an assistant pump the brake pedal and then hold firm pressure on the brake pedal.
Loosen the RH rear bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. While the assistant maintains pressure on the brake pedal, tighten the RH rear bleeder screw.
Repeat until clear, bubble-free fluid comes out.
Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir as necessary.
Tighten the RH rear bleeder screw.

Repeat Steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 for the LH rear bleeder screw.
Place a box end wrench on the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw, and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.

Have an assistant pump the brake pedal and then hold firm pressure on the brake pedal.
Loosen the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. While the assistant maintains pressure on the brake pedal, tighten the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
Repeat until clear, bubble-free fluid comes out.
Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir as necessary.
Tighten the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw. For additional information, refer to Specifications in this section.

Repeat Steps 7, 8, 9 and 10 for the LH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
Pressure

Clean all dirt from and remove the brake master cylinder filler cap and fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with the specified brake fluid.

NOTE: Master cylinder pressure bleeder adapter tools are available from various manufacturers of pressure bleeding equipment. Follow the instructions of the manufacturer when installing the adapter.

Install the bleeder adapter to the brake master cylinder reservoir, and attach the bleeder tank hose to the fitting on the adapter.
NOTE: Bleed the longest line first. Make sure the bleeder tank contains enough specified brake fluid to complete the bleeding operation.

Place a box end wrench on the RH rear bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH rear bleeder screw, and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.

Open the valve on the bleeder tank.
Loosen the RH rear bleeder screw. Leave open until clear, bubble-free brake fluid flows, then tighten the RH rear bleeder screw and remove the rubber hose.

Continue bleeding the rear of the system, going in order from the LH rear bleeder screw to the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw ending with the LH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
Close the bleeder tank valve. Remove the tank hose from the adapter, and remove the adapter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info