• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

new 03-04 cobra shortblock from FRPP

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
Discuss

shortblock03cobra.jpg

Kegger

Addict
Jun 23, 2005
I saw that thing up close and personal. It was on Ken Gushi's Mustang (Formula Drift Series). He had a Whipple on top.....he didn't know what psi his tech's are running, he only knows that it laid down over 600 rwhp. He did say they went with this aluminum shortblock because it had a tremendous amount of weight savings associated with it. How can an aluminum block hold together for a long time, on a boosted motor?

Kegger

Addict
Jun 23, 2005
I'm by no means an expert in this subject at all. I just have common sense logic that says "iron is stronger than aluminum". If you say there is a way to make aluminum stronger than iron.....why don't more manufacturers do this? Every high boosted motor I know of has an iron block. :dunno:

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
aluminum is cheaper in short runs and small batches. iron is cheaper in large production runs. it takes a huuuuuuuuge amount of electricity to turn bauxite into aluminum.

Kegger said:
I'm by no means an expert in this subject at all. I just have common sense logic that says "iron is stronger than aluminum". If you say there is a way to make aluminum stronger than iron.....why don't more manufacturers do this? Every high boosted motor I know of has an iron block. :dunno:

haha ok look at it this way-- ford for a 03 cobra motor from the blower to pan wants almost 10 grand. How much more do u think they want for the aluminator-- just think a brand new aluminum block is almost 2,000 dollars. So then they will mark it up another 1,000 or so. Then ur looking at a motor that could cost u as much as the 5.0 cammer motor. Atleast the cammer motor has a 3500 dollar intake and is pretty much bullit proofed! Have fun bending over for this motor that will still have the shitty pistons and 2 tight of clearances for the piston gap when they heat up.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Kegger said:

Uuum, it is called "sleeving". Besides, barely EVER does a block itself fail. It is 99% of the time that a piece of the rotating assembly inside the block that fails and then sometimes punches a hole through the block. Unless your running 1,000+ you don't even need to take block metallurgy into consideration. Even at 1,000 there are still bigger fish to try than the block itself.

Don't worry about the block, worry about the pistons, rods, oil pump, and bearings instead.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Recipe for badass aluminum shortblock... Buy used Explorer or Aviator WAP aluminum shortblock. Gut it....Machine and bore it to 300+ci...Resleeve it....Drop in forged Cobra crank....Drop in Diamond forged pistons and Oliver billet rods.....billet oil pump gears (correctly cut)....blahblahblah.....Holds a lot more power than that thing, makes more power too. One HELL of a lot cheaper also.

I am not knocking that engine, but for anyone besides the mechanically inept, it will not be too great a deal.

All else fails, just Call Scott at VT and have them build an alum monster still for less than that will probably cost...

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Since 1964 said:
I doubt if VT is any cheaper.

For abouut $7,500 you can have a fully built Cobra longblock with billet internals ported heads and Crower cams. It will withstand one heck of a lot more than the stocker 03/04 engine will handle and be setup to make more power too. I believe that engine pictured is going for more than that, is it not?

Edit: Shoot, I forgot that was just the shortblock there. Well in that case it will be around $4,700 total to get an aluminum block and send it off to them to be rebuilt and machined billet internals and the works. It would cost more if you wanted to do a stroker or big bore of course.

my fully built shortblock is going to run me

500 dollars for the block bore and machine work to the crank
2200 oliver rods, cp pistons, rod bearings, main bearings-
400 oil pan
209 built oil pump and pickup
90 windage tray
30 oil pan gasket
179 for arp main studs.
30 rear main seal.

so all in all i am assembling it with some help from steve(redman) that will save me some money!! :headbang:

3638 is my built short block- complete-

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info