• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

new guy a few questions

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well first one is a possible engine issue. i just brought my car home from a 300 mile trip from where i bought it. everything is up to date on the car and has about 46k miles on it. on accel and decel it runs fine whether light or hard. it is when i try to keep her at a constant speed (cruise control or just cruising in general) it bucks a little. did it every so often on the ride home but there were periods of say 45 min where it wouldnt do it. im going to clean off the MAF tomorrow and make sure there are no loose connections from the filter to the engine. it just seems like it is leaning out for a second and causing the bucking. car is 99% stock with just a cai and it was unknown when it was put on. any ideas would be great

also, i got a great deal on this car because the guy didnt want to fix the minor problems that i see as no big deal to me. the side view mirror is gone. someone ripped just the mirror itself off. everything behind looks to be in great shape and nothing is broken at all. where do i go about getting a new mirror because i thought i heard someone say you have to replace the whole damn thing. just wondering

and finally, where is a good place to get a new foglight lens. the lens itself is broken so i need to find out how to get the old one out and replace it with a new one. if anyone has any lying around i will buy but if not, who has pretty good prices on replacement parts for our cars. thanx a ton and im sure ill be asking lots more questions as i have been a 5.0 guy all my life. this stuff is alllll new to me

noavgcobra

Addict
Aug 14, 2006
hazmat404 said:
well first one is a possible engine issue. i just brought my car home from a 300 mile trip from where i bought it. everything is up to date on the car and has about 46k miles on it. on accel and decel it runs fine whether light or hard. it is when i try to keep her at a constant speed (cruise control or just cruising in general) it bucks a little. did it every so often on the ride home but there were periods of say 45 min where it wouldnt do it. im going to clean off the MAF tomorrow and make sure there are no loose connections from the filter to the engine. it just seems like it is leaning out for a second and causing the bucking. car is 99% stock with just a cai and it was unknown when it was put on. any ideas would be great

also, i got a great deal on this car because the guy didnt want to fix the minor problems that i see as no big deal to me. the side view mirror is gone. someone ripped just the mirror itself off. everything behind looks to be in great shape and nothing is broken at all. where do i go about getting a new mirror because i thought i heard someone say you have to replace the whole damn thing. just wondering

and finally, where is a good place to get a new foglight lens. the lens itself is broken so i need to find out how to get the old one out and replace it with a new one. if anyone has any lying around i will buy but if not, who has pretty good prices on replacement parts for our cars. thanx a ton and im sure ill be asking lots more questions as i have been a 5.0 guy all my life. this stuff is alllll new to me
i had the bucking with my mac cold air kit switched to jlt and it went away the jlt is a great piece!

blubyu

TCG Elite Member
Nov 7, 2004
hazmat404 said:

Here's info on the mirror and foglight. If it came off clean, you may be able to just snap a new glass in place.

Attachments

• Foglamp.pdf
    31.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Mirror.pdf
    78.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Mirror Mounting.pdf
    26.8 KB · Views: 32

Evanstang

One in a crowd
Sep 5, 2006
hazmat404 said:
any particular reason why the cai does that? i have no idea what kind it is but im assuming bbk or mac. its really annoying and would rather go back to stock if it will get rid of it.

Is the CAI a fender mount. I have heard that the fender mounts that have a bend before the MAF will cause that, the bend causes a disruption in the air traveling across the MAF.

The other cause could be the EGR system... Unplug the DPFE sensor, and see if it goes away.

Its located on the drivers side of the s/c. Just disconnect the electrical connector and see if your stumble/miss is reduced.

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
yeah it has the bend into the fender. looks nice but never seemed practical but it came with the car. id rather just throw a stocker on their but i will also try unplugging that connection in just a little while. i will come back with results in a bit

also, just came back from a drive and she shut down on me from a 70-0 mph stop. brakes lost pressure and all. no biggie but wtf. also the idle was screwing around today. going from the nonrmal 750rpms down to 500rpms and sitting there for a lil before bogging and jumping back up to 750ish. if you can describe where the parts you are telling me to check are at that would be great cause i looked and have no idea where that one plug you were talkin about is

Evanstang

One in a crowd
Sep 5, 2006
Get rid of the fender style and got back to stock... I've heard nothing but bad news on the fender style, the only fender one that is ok, I think a JLT(not sure) but it needs to have the MAF in front of the bend... once you start disrupting air flow before the MAF, you can get messed up results..

I am PM'ing you a link for pictures as I can't post pictures in this??

hazmat404 said:
yeah it has the bend into the fender. looks nice but never seemed practical but it came with the car. id rather just throw a stocker on their but i will also try unplugging that connection in just a little while. i will come back with results in a bit

also, just came back from a drive and she shut down on me from a 70-0 mph stop. brakes lost pressure and all. no biggie but wtf. also the idle was screwing around today. going from the nonrmal 750rpms down to 500rpms and sitting there for a lil before bogging and jumping back up to 750ish. if you can describe where the parts you are telling me to check are at that would be great cause i looked and have no idea where that one plug you were talkin about is

Evanstang

One in a crowd
Sep 5, 2006
I was just suggesting the stock to see if the problem goes away... CAI's are a great product... I'd just stay away from the fender style.... You would assume pulling cooler air from the fender is better than hot air from the engine bay... but from what I have read... stay with a CAI in the engine bay..

I was going to buy a fender style and I was told "don't do it!"

Evanstang

One in a crowd
Sep 5, 2006
Here are a couple quotes I found on the subject of fender style CAI's...

I asked Tim Barth of Modular Power House which was better, a fenderwell CAI or a straight shot CAI. He said without question that a straight shot is better. He said he did extensive testing on both types of CAIs and consistently got higher horse power, up to 30HP, out of the straight shot CAI. He says he thinks it has something to do with the bend in the pipe in the fenderwell CAIs that make them less effective. He said the bend can cause turbulence in the inlet pipe and disrupt the flow of air. I thought the same thing you do, that having a big air filter sitting in the engine bay would soak up a lot of heat. But I believe Tim. He's one of the top tuners in the country. However, I am sure a lot fo people will disagree with Tim on this.

------------------------------------------
NEVER EVER put a CAI on your car that has a bend right before the MAF. The aircharge will ramp into the MAF offset, and cause erratic and unstable readings. You want to avoid turbenlence at all costs!

The only exception to this is the JLT 12" CAI, which has at least 6" of straight flow path before the MAF. If you're going to upgrade the system then go with a JLT CAI or RAI.
-----------------------------------------------

Hope this helps....

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
evanstang i wanna say thank you so much. i got a stock air box and put it back on and took that old fender mount cai with the 90* bend it out. the car is 100% better. accelerates much harder and not a single hesitation. its now a beautiful ride as i was getting frustrated with it before. thanx for all the help

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
With the JLT fender mount, the bends are not an issue because of the size of the pipe. It is much larger than the stock unit.
Also, the car has to be tuned with the CAI in place, not the other way around. Any time the MAF's orientation is altered, it can affect its operation.

I have the JLT system and am satisfied with it. Works for me.

I would dump the stock setup because it is so restrictive. Which one you choose is up to you, but almost anything is better than stock.

Dana

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info