• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Hooking up aftermarket head unit to stock Mach 460 amps/speakers

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I recently went through the process of hooking up my Pioneer AVHP6600DVD head unit to my stock Mach 460 amps and speakers. I also added a Directed 600D amp and JL Audio 10W6 subwoofer. The stereo sounds great. Much better than I thought the stock speakers would sound. The Pioneer head unit makes the music much clearer than the muddy sounding stock head unit.

Replacing the head unit is a very simple install. If you are going to tie into the stock amps/speakers, you can make the install easy by buying adapter plugs from Metra or another company [I think Scosche just came out with some]. The 2004 Mach 460 uses the Metra 70-5521 plug adapter kit and the 2003 [and I assume earlier] Mach 460 uses the Metra 70-5519 kit. The difference is that Ford changed the amps plug for 2004.

When you get the kit, you can wire your aftermarket head unit to the adapter plug and plug it into the stock stereo plug. This saves a lot of wiring and wire running time. Your stock tweeters will now be running off the amp in the aftermarket head unit. The other plug in the kit has RCA leads that you connect to your RCA pre amp plugs on the aftermarket head unit. You also connect a couple of remote turn on leads to the aftermarket remote turn on wire and on the 70-5519 you have to connect two amp ground wires. Simple and quick hook up. The kit made this one of the easiest head unit installs I've ever done.

The subwoofer requires a separate amp to be installed. You then run the subwoofer output from the aftermarket head unit to the subwoofer amplifier using RCA cables. Use speaker wire from the amp to the sub and you are done. There are pre made sub boxes you can buy or you can make your own. Subwoofers will tell you how much air space they require so build your box accordingly. Sealed boxes seem to hit sharper and harder. Ported boxes are boomier.

Attachments

• Resize 4.jpg
    Resize 4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Resize 2.jpg
    Resize 2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Resize 1.jpg
    Resize 1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 88

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I know it's a year old...but why make a new post when I can expand on the old....

If I get the Metra 70-5519, and a new head unit. What else do I need to install this? I was thinking of a Speed of Sound Switch Plate, but do I need any of the install kits that a place like Crutchfield offer?

Thanks!

The two holes on the bottom of the bracket in that one Speed of Sound pic are where the head unit assembly bolts to the dash. As long as you have a mounting bracket with those holes, you should be OK. My first post has the info you need on what else to buy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info