• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Port/Polish heads, How Much?

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
Does anyone know how much it would cost to get the cylinder heads Ported and Polished? No labor for taking them off or putting them back on just the Machining.

Is there enough material to make a difference. Would you see a large gain on a car with a 2.6 KB @ high boost with cams? With supporting mods.

Please do not say,

"just port your blower" or anything like that I'm only concerned with the above question.

Thanks in advance.

V

venmousracer

he is in the proccess, actually the motor is almost done, I was over there picking up some parts for a project of mine, 6.0 LS1 in a 93 notchback mustang.......... My buudy uses Rich from RGR racing awsome builder, ask speed inc etc... for references about Rich...Eddie

V

venmousracer

I must agree if you are still using a positive displacement blower forget the port and polish job, a waste of money, now if you were going turbo or supercharger then it would be worth it...

Jeff, I am glad you guys were able to hook up with mu buddy Brett and Rich they do good work!!!! The motor is almos done it looks stock.... My motor is on the stand waiting to be put back together....Eddie

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
When I was doing my shortblock... I looked into redoing the heads, and it just wasn't worth it. I believe the quote was around $1,200 or $1,300

but from everything I read, the gains would be very very small.. definitely not worth it on our cars.

noavgcobra

Addict
Aug 14, 2006
CobraChris08 said:
Does anyone know how much it would cost to get the cylinder heads Ported and Polished? No labor for taking them off or putting them back on just the Machining.

Is there enough material to make a difference. Would you see a large gain on a car with a 2.6 KB @ high boost with cams? With supporting mods.

Please do not say,

"just port your blower" or anything like that I'm only concerned with the above question.

Thanks in advance.
there is a guy named Dale in Freeport that does all the import heads for larger shops in the area not sure of his pricing but does a kick ass job, he did the heads on my 98 cobra when i had it e-mail me for the number I have to call a friend for it [email protected]

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
CobraChris08 said:
Well my plans for the car are eventually a high boost KB. I don't want to go into TT set up's becasue from my understandings there is a lot that can go wrong.

I am no where near the money now. How come the LS1 guys beifit so much from a cam and head swap? My guess is displacement? :dunno:

Take your pick....a set of $2500-$25,000.00 heads, or a blower, nitrous, turbo....that's why.

$25,000.00 is just an exagerated way of implying that great heads cost a fortune. The more the heads breathe the more boost you need, so you would not actually be able to appreciate all of the bigger blower afterwards.

FWIW a ported set of the new 3V heads flow just as good if not BETTER than our almighty 03-04 Cobra heads. A couple of lumpy cams and better springs on a 3V would be good Idea. I'm guessing $3500-$5500. Hopefully I am way off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info