• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Are these noises normal?

MONSTER

I love my Lightning!
Jun 4, 2006
Hi guys,I'm new to the board and have a couple of questions. First,I live in Chicago and my truck is parked in my garage in my alley. When I pull the truck in or out and the wheel is turned completely in either direction I will get a clunking sound from the front of the truck. This only happens when the wheel is totally cocked. I really dont think it that big of a deal but was wondering if all ford trucks do this. Question #2, This sounds kind of stupid but every so often when I am driving I will all of the sudden hear some noise right under the drivers floorboard. It sounds like I ran over some sort of debri but immediately I look in my rearview mirror to see what is was and I never see anything in the road ever! I took a look under the truck and nothing,the truck looks brand new underneath and there is nothing loose. I just figured the tires picked up a stone of something and kicks it directly to the drivers floor board,but every time? I know it sounds dumb,but I have only had the truck for a couple of months and I want to make sure this truck is going to be a reliable vehicle 365 days a year even in snow. Thanks for any input you guys may have.

wickedfastone

Aug 14, 2006
MONSTER said:
Hi guys,I'm new to the board and have a couple of questions. First,I live in Chicago and my truck is parked in my garage in my alley. When I pull the truck in or out and the wheel is turned completely in either direction I will get a clunking sound from the front of the truck. This only happens when the wheel is totally cocked. I really dont think it that big of a deal but was wondering if all ford trucks do this. Question #2, This sounds kind of stupid but every so often when I am driving I will all of the sudden hear some noise right under the drivers floorboard. It sounds like I ran over some sort of debri but immediately I look in my rearview mirror to see what is was and I never see anything in the road ever! I took a look under the truck and nothing,the truck looks brand new underneath and there is nothing loose. I just figured the tires picked up a stone of something and kicks it directly to the drivers floor board,but every time? I know it sounds dumb,but I have only had the truck for a couple of months and I want to make sure this truck is going to be a reliable vehicle 365 days a year even in snow. Thanks for any input you guys may have.
Hey, what's up man? Unfortunatly that noise is common in the L's when you crank those 295's all the way around they hit the stops and rub on them and stress the steering rack. This only happens when you turn the wheel all the way. It is most common is reverse. Sometimes it's creaky and sometimes it's clunky. You get used to it after awhile, but is always annoying. :)

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
wickedfastone said:
Hey, what's up man? Unfortunatly that noise is common in the L's when you crank those 295's all the way around they hit the stops and rub on them and stress the steering rack. This only happens when you turn the wheel all the way. It is most common is reverse. Sometimes it's creaky and sometimes it's clunky. You get used to it after awhile, but is always annoying. :)

Dang, we sure picked up a knowledgeable member.

Bronco Bill

Oct 25, 2004
Clunk washers

ford created an excentric hole on the drivers side lower "A" arm, (why i don't know) the clunk you are hearing is from this arm moving. Yes there are washers sold to cure this, they have an excentric side of the washers, (both go on the one "A" arm only). I had the same prob. on my 01, and installed them. no more annoying clunk.

Sorry if i was late responding to this, i'm not used to people posting in the "L" section any more
good luck
BB

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info