• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Engine Surge After Cold Air Kit Install

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
I will tell you that when I installed my JLT CAI in the fender I got exactly what you are talking about. I double, triple, quadruple checked and I had no leaks. I moved the MAF around to see if that would help and nothing. Mine actually would die when pulling up to the light.

Now I didn't datalog, but I can tell you that I got a new tune and it went away. Changing a filter is one thing, but moving it in the fender would require a retune in my opinion and experience.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
nytebyte said:
Try unplugging the battery for a little while to reset the computer.

If you didn't do this when you installed the cold air kit, the computer is still adjusted to the stock intake which might be causing your surging problem.

+1 forgot that one too! Should be the first thing you do before anything else... then take a look at my worthless drabble above.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
noavgcobra said:
A LITTLE HELP, I BOUGHT A MAC COLD AIR KIT FENDERWELL MOUNT(DONT LAUGH) AND AFTER THE INSTALL AT CRUISING SPEEDS AT LOW RPM I HAVE A TON OF IDLE SURGE. i FELT A BIG HP INCREASE BUT CANNOT LIVE WITH THE SURGING. TOOK THE KIT OFF AND THE PROBLEM WENT AWAY. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT. ABOUT TO LUNK THE MAC AND TRY ANOUTHER BRAND.

one, check and make sure the screens are still in the MAF they will devolp a surge also. Two, check and see if the Oil from the filter didn't get on the hotwires of the MAF, if so clean with a Q-tip and rubbing achool

noavgcobra

Addict
Aug 14, 2006
cyac5l8trfcar said:
ummm.....NO! never ever touch the mafs with a cotton q tip! Do use aerosal electronics parts cleaner and let it air dry. The cotton will stay on the meter and cause a failure.
tahnks for all the input i will be ordering the jlt as it looks like a nicer piece. i will do the battery first and observe the mass air placement. need the ponies to keep up with all you guys !!! lol

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
nytebyte said:
Try unplugging the battery for a little while to reset the computer.

If you didn't do this when you installed the cold air kit, the computer is still adjusted to the stock intake which might be causing your surging problem.

+ 2. I forgot that also. Try that first.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info