• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

HELP - CCRM Needed

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
Looking for someone with a known-good CCRM on the shelf.

stupid relay module controls the fuel pumps, which work, the a/c field coil, which activates the clutch properly, and the cooling fan.....which now that its 95 degrees, doesnt want to work

no voltage at the circuit breaker by the intercooler relay
therefore
no voltage at the fan

im waiting for it to cool off so i can test if the dark blue wire or the light green wire with the violet tracer are sending a signal to the ccrm. if they're not sending a signal from the pcm to the ccrm, i give up.

just curious if anyone has a known good ccrm on the shelf, or, if you recently bought one, what did it cost? i still have extended warranty but i hate having the dealership parts changers do the same job i can do, only poorly.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
ShelbyGuy said:
seems to be the same ccrm for all v8 mustang 99-04.

how far are you from westmont? the car does ok if i keep moving but temp climbs above 200 at long stoplights.

that means my evans mods are kickin' ass, though.

I'm out in Winfield if that's better for ya. PM me if you want to stop by. I have Wed off.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
AARRGGG its of course the fan and not the CCRM. CCRM cant get a signal out because its not getting power in! the fan going blew the 50 amp fuse. i hate modern car fuses. bus fuses are so much easier to see if they're blown than blade fuses.

rather than go out and blow a ton of money on fuses that will repeatedly blow, i jumpered the blown fuse with a piece of wire and tested voltage at the fan connection. voila! 14 volts to the fan connector. jumpering the fuse with the fan connected makes the little jumper wire get really reall hot and the engine slow down. that tells me its "a bit of a draw"

blah foo

time to buy a cooling fan

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
ok, while its still fresh in my tiny little mind:

the dark blue wire and the light green with violet tracer wire are the low speed fan control and high speed fan control from the pcm respectively.

if you have voltage from the pcm on either of those and your fan doesnt come on, test those wires at the connection for the ccrm. if you're getting a signal at either of those two wires, check to see if you're getting power to the ccrm by testing the two yellow with black tracer wires at pins 3 and 4 on the ccrm connector. they go top to bottom, left to right, with the extra little winglets to index the connector on the bottom. if you dont have power at the yellow with black tracer wires on the ccrm connector, check the 50 amp fuse at f1.1 which is the fuse box by the drivers side strut tower.

a related issue is people throwing the code for fuel pump driver offline. the ccrm controls the fpdm.

another related issue is the a/c field coil. a/c compressor clutch not engaging? possible ccrm issue.

i almost wonder if there isnt interest in a relay bank instead of a single point of failure like a ccrm.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
another related issue is the a/c field coil. a/c compressor clutch not engaging? possible ccrm issue.

Any ideas why my a/c clutch is always spinning? Even w/the climate control off? I replaced the ccrm and it still spins constantly and causes the entire a/c system to freeze solid (encased in ice). I unplugged the harness to get it to stop. Any help would be great!

fireball168

Regular
Sep 17, 2005
The PCM provides ground for both those circuits to close the fan relays.

You'll have voltage on those circuits when the PCM isn't requesting the fan, voltage will be low(I hate to say zero) when requested.

You could backprobe pin 17 at the CCRM(LG/VT), or pin 14 (DB) to provide your own ground path and close the relay(s) manually.

Sounds like you found the culprit to me, the fuse, and ultimately the fan.

How does it feel when you manually turn it? Was it spinning at all when you tried to let the smoke out of it with the jumper wire??? :D

fireball168

Regular
Sep 17, 2005
01GTvert said:
Any ideas why my a/c clutch is always spinning? Even w/the climate control off? I replaced the ccrm and it still spins constantly and causes the entire a/c system to freeze solid (encased in ice). I unplugged the harness to get it to stop. Any help would be great!

Reconnect the clutch.

Turn the A/C/Defroster off.

If the clutch is still engaged, unplug the clutch cycling pressure switch(on the accumulator/line back by the heater hoses). Does the clutch stop running?

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
fireball168 said:
Reconnect the clutch.

Turn the A/C/Defroster off.

If the clutch is still engaged, unplug the clutch cycling pressure switch(on the accumulator/line back by the heater hoses). Does the clutch stop running?

Thx for the reply :biggthump The clutch remains engaged no matter if climate control is on or off regardless of which function is selected. The system will freeze solid in less than 30 mins. I replaced the cycle switch last fall and the problem isn't fixed. Could a kinked/bent a/c line possibly cause the clutch to think it needs to be engaged all the time because of a pressure drop issue? I know part of the install of a novi2k blower is to bend/move an a/c line. I'm not sure what to try next.

fireball168

Regular
Sep 17, 2005
01GTvert said:
Thx for the reply :biggthump The clutch remains engaged no matter if climate control is on or off regardless of which function is selected. The system will freeze solid in less than 30 mins. I replaced the cycle switch last fall and the problem isn't fixed. Could a kinked/bent a/c line possibly cause the clutch to think it needs to be engaged all the time because of a pressure drop issue? I know part of the install of a novi2k blower is to bend/move an a/c line. I'm not sure what to try next.

I told you what to try next.

Unplug it and see what happens.

If you improperly bent a line, and caused a restriction - that could act as a secondary orifice and cause icing after the restriction. However, that isn't going to have any effect on the electrical side of things.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
nope no spinning fan. couldnt get the magic smoke to come out either. :D

now the real question is, do i take it in the moon from madden ford or willowbrook, or do i wait a week and pay half as much to get the new fan from tousely ford?

fireball168 said:
The PCM provides ground for both those circuits to close the fan relays.

You'll have voltage on those circuits when the PCM isn't requesting the fan, voltage will be low(I hate to say zero) when requested.

You could backprobe pin 17 at the CCRM(LG/VT), or pin 14 (DB) to provide your own ground path and close the relay(s) manually.

Sounds like you found the culprit to me, the fuse, and ultimately the fan.

How does it feel when you manually turn it? Was it spinning at all when you tried to let the smoke out of it with the jumper wire??? :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• ShelbyGuy
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list