• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Car died

J

Jpatte

Car guys are great. Please read.

I was following my brother to dinner in the Cobra on a special occasion yesterday. On the way to dinner the car started to miss at the stop sign. When I tried to leave the 4 way stop. The car was missing bad. I barely got to 20mph and the car couldn't go any further. I pulled over to the side of the road and called my brother to go ahead. A million solutions were running thru my mind, Belt, bad gas, battery, plugged fuel line, fuel pump. After inspecting the engine, nothing was out of order. Right after that, a guy came out of his house to find out what all of the noise was about. I guess my exhaust is too loud. I tried to start the car and it didn't turn over. The guy got his portable battery charger and hooked it up the car. We drove the car to his driveway to charge the battery. Fuel pumps don't run without power. After 30 mins of charging, he gave me his charger, 50ft cord and the portable charger to get home. After leaving his house Pam and I realized he didn't even know who we were. Not even a phone number. Did I mention that he had a 2002 ZO6 in his garage with only 2500 miles on it. Very nice car! Anyways, the car made all of the way home and actually died in the driveway. I return the equipment today and gave him gift card for a pizza. This guy was great...

John

PS: Generator went bad, looking for a new one.

blubyu

TCG Elite Member
Nov 7, 2004
Jpatte said:
Car guys are great. Please read.

I was following my brother to dinner in the Cobra on a special occasion yesterday. On the way to dinner the car started to miss at the stop sign. When I tried to leave the 4 way stop. The car was missing bad. I barely got to 20mph and the car couldn't go any further. I pulled over to the side of the road and called my brother to go ahead. A million solutions were running thru my mind, Belt, bad gas, battery, plugged fuel line, fuel pump. After inspecting the engine, nothing was out of order. Right after that, a guy came out of his house to find out what all of the noise was about. I guess my exhaust is too loud. I tried to start the car and it didn't turn over. The guy got his portable battery charger and hooked it up the car. We drove the car to his driveway to charge the battery. Fuel pumps don't run without power. After 30 mins of charging, he gave me his charger, 50ft cord and the portable charger to get home. After leaving his house Pam and I realized he didn't even know who we were. Not even a phone number. Did I mention that he had a 2002 ZO6 in his garage with only 2500 miles on it. Very nice car! Anyways, the car made all of the way home and actually died in the driveway. I return the equipment today and gave him gift card for a pizza. This guy was great...

John

PS: Generator went bad, looking for a new one.

Nice story! Glad you made it home. I helped a foreigner once with an old Caddy that was broken down. Got it going and he said he just came to this country and was a doctor. Gave me his number and offered to give me free medical visits for myself and my family. I think it left him feeling good about coming to america. I never took him up on the doctor thing. Another time a buddy and me pulled over on rt 53 to help a spanish gal who was broken down. The distributor cap was shattered so we gave her a lift home. Nice to be on the giving and receiving end.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I had a similar experience with my "ALTERNATOR" John... :joke: .

I had just finished washing my car and was on the way home when it just got stupid all of a sudden and wouldn't go over 20mph and so I got it off the road.
I had just gott'n the 2.76 pulley and tune for my ported blower and SOB if I didn't need warranty work. Luckly the dealer I sent it to didn't even care. I got the towing and repair for nutt'n.

There a fancy one offerd in the mag's all the time. Maybe you should get one of those.
Good luck with that beast....Mineral Grey Rules.

J

Jpatte

Correct name

Since 1964 said:
I had a similar experience with my "ALTERNATOR" John... :joke: .

I had just finished washing my car and was on the way home when it just got stupid all of a sudden and wouldn't go over 20mph and so I got it off the road.
I had just gott'n the 2.76 pulley and tune for my ported blower and SOB if I didn't need warranty work. Luckly the dealer I sent it to didn't even care. I got the towing and repair for nutt'n.

There a fancy one offerd in the mag's all the time. Maybe you should get one of those.
Good luck with that beast....Mineral Grey Rules.

Isn't the alternator and generator one of the same now a days?

Jpatte :dunno:

Svt Abuser

SVT FTP
Jul 26, 2006
nope, generator is old skool, the long n short of it is the generator is unregulated and just makes more power as u spin it, and the alternator makes different levels of power to run the crap in our cars, or just charge the battery, whatever its being called for...also, the copper windings spin in a generator, the armature spins in the alternator, (windings stay fixed)

who cares, u need a darn alternator hehe...ure lucky it was an easy fix!!

last year, I had sandbags and a shovel in my trunk...I took a corner, and my car quit..i could get it to start, it would idle, but as soon as u called on it for power, it wouldnt make any....I sat there in disbelief ( the car has treated me so well) and thought about it..popped the trunk, and sure nuff, the shovel hit the safety shutt off switch for the fuel pump...? i reset it, and its been fine ever since....

so dont carry a shovel and 160lbs of sand in your trunk LOL

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Svt Abuser said:
nope, generator is old skool, the long n short of it is the generator is unregulated and just makes more power as u spin it, and the alternator makes different levels of power to run the crap in our cars, or just charge the battery, whatever its being called for...also, the copper windings spin in a generator, the armature spins in the alternator, (windings stay fixed)

who cares, u need a darn alternator hehe...ure lucky it was an easy fix!!

last year, I had sandbags and a shovel in my trunk...I took a corner, and my car quit..i could get it to start, it would idle, but as soon as u called on it for power, it wouldnt make any....I sat there in disbelief ( the car has treated me so well) and thought about it..popped the trunk, and sure nuff, the shovel hit the safety shutt off switch for the fuel pump...? i reset it, and its been fine ever since....

so dont carry a shovel and 160lbs of sand in your trunk LOL

That had to suck for while. At least ya didn't pay the dealer to figure it out.

J

Jpatte

Generator

Cobra Jack said:
In case anyone cares.. the Ford service manual refers to it as a generator.

attached is the R&R procedure.

After getting beat up pretty good about calling it a generator, I edited the thread from generator to alternator. Now I should change it back!!

Jack, thanks for the drawing, but I drop the generator out the bottom not knowing that its possible to do the way the drawing says to do it. Its pretty tight taking it out through the top. I should have had a party for a generator change out.

John

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info