• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Some detailed exhaust questions, then I be quiet.

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
So, here are all of my questions before I get something. Answer all, answer none, answer some, whatever. I appreciate the help. So, now I can be quiet for awhile.

1. Do I really need stainless? Are the mac dura black coated good enough? (Cobra is NOT a daily driver)

2. I want that classic muscle sound more than the exotic sound. In your opinion what is the best catback for that?

3. Will the $500 i want to spend be enough? (Does that rules out stingers and maybe Bassani stainless, any others?)

4. How would you rank these in Loudness? (SLP LM1, LM2, SLP Powerflow, Borla 14858/steeda, Stingers, Magnaflow, Bassani baffles and not, Mac 3", mac 2.5")

5. How about for sound im looking for?

6. Anyone selling?

7. Maybe we should have an exhaust Thread in the Tech dept?

Thanks again.

ÂżJ.D.?

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
Rotzs99 said:
So, here are all of my questions before I get something. Answer all, answer none, answer some, whatever. I appreciate the help. So, now I can be quiet for awhile.

1. Do I really need stainless? Are the mac dura black coated good enough? (Cobra is NOT a daily driver)

2. I want that classic muscle sound more than the exotic sound. In your opinion what is the best catback for that?

3. Will the $500 i want to spend be enough? (Does that rules out stingers and maybe Bassani stainless, any others?)

4. How would you rank these in Loudness? (SLP LM1, LM2, SLP Powerflow, Borla 14858/steeda, Stingers, Magnaflow, Bassani baffles and not, Mac 3", mac 2.5")

6. Anyone selling?

Thanks again.

ÂżJ.D.?

You didnt mention Flowmasters. They are a clasic souding cat back. They carried 99% of stangs for years and still do if you dont have a grand to drop down on stainless.

YES, I have a set of MINT flowmasters for sale :D
I have a set of Cat backs that were on for one dyno run. 1/2 hour of use. Direct bolt on for you snake :headbang:

PM if your intrested

For the money your looking to spend I would go with Flowmasters or Macs. Both of them are good IMO for the cash and sound.You say your not looking for a exotic sound? You say not Macs? The rest your not going to be able to touch unless you get some more $$$$$$

Exhust thread?
Its all personal opinion like ice cream dude. Everyone has their own flavor of choice. Mine is Cherry Garcia :D and Bassani :biggthump

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Rotzs99 said:

6. Anyone selling?

Thanks again.

ÂżJ.D.?

1. I dunno about the non-stainless MAC, but after only 1 year my flowmaster started looking really crappy/rusty. However, before selling it I spent a couple hours and polished the hell out of the tips and got them looking great again. So they might get some surface rust, but can be made to look good again with a little effort.

2. Muscle car sound is better represented by a chambered muffler IMO... MAC and Flowmaster are the only chambered options I believe.

3. $500 should be plenty for a good catback. Actually you can get a stainless MAC catback brand new for less than that.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pa...s.html?zenid=09f03a6a797ea1152064e9f702b4c07d

4. Haven't heard all those catbacks, so I don't think I could rank em. If you want loud, get off road mid pipe :D

The combos I have had:
Stock H with Flowmaster catback = sounded great, but was kinda quiet.
O/R H with Flowmaster catback = sounded incredible, but was very loud... especially at WOT.
O/R H with Magaflow catback = very loud, but very raspy and horrible sounding
Catted H with Magnaflow catback = Sounds good but it is back to kinda quiet... still screams at WOT though.

5. :confused:

6. Not me :D

7. This is an exhaust thread in the tech department. :D

cobra4075

Jan 31, 2006
I don't know about the Mac stainless, but I did own a set of Mac longtubes that looked like crap in a few years. My car is also not a daily driver and never saw winter. Maybe they changed their steel since? I never saw an exhaust rott away so fast. I have a 2 1/2'' cat back 2-chamber flowmasters with stainless tails for sale if interested. My brother owns an exhaust shop. He could cut you deal on the install.

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
cobra4075 said:
I don't know about the Mac stainless, but I did own a set of Mac longtubes that looked like crap in a few years. My car is also not a daily driver and never saw winter. Maybe they changed their steel since? I never saw an exhaust rott away so fast. I have a 2 1/2'' cat back 2-chamber flowmasters with stainless tails for sale if interested. My brother owns an exhaust shop. He could cut you deal on the install.

Thanks for the tip. Idk, there are a lot of cheap flowmasters im finding around, but there are a whole bunch of people who have them.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
cobra4075 said:

I had the same issues with ALL my Mac headers and CB's. Its the coating they put on em. :argue:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info