• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Boost loss - any troubleshooting tips?

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
As you know I have a 3.1 upper and 6 lbs. lower. When I dynoed it was making 16-17 PSI holding steady to redline. So I actually took the car out this weekend, the weather was cool (70's).

The car seemed to pull HARD before. I thought I got used to it.

So on the highway, I decide to measure my boost. It peaks and holds at 14 PSI and doesn't go any higher. Everything else is good; fuel pressure, oil pressure, A/F, everything is reading normal. It doesn't appear to be slip because it pulls right to 14 PSI and stays there on both the stock guage with the overlay AND the autometer boost/vac gauge.

Only thing that has changed is:

1. JLT oil separator (right now this is my suspect, might bypass all oil separator stuff to take it out of the equation)

2. RR tensioner (the stock tensioner wasn't holding up when I stabbed the throttle, it would hang at 8 PSI). If step one doesn't fix, will try new belt, because I had lots of belt dust in the past? Belt seems OK though and is tight)

3. Borla Stingers changed to Borla 14858 mufflered system.

4. Changed the FPRS.

Unfortunetly, I haven't driven the car much since the dyno to pay attention to the amount of boost it was making since the dyno pull. Now I just noticed the 14 PSI .. which is pretty low for a 3.1/6#-2.93/4#-2.76/2# combo.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
I ask for help and this is what I get ... what did I do wrong?

I'm not making the amount of boost I am supposed to and your answer is "just drive it"

I hope your car starts making 5 PSI max and I say just drive it!!!

The reason I spent $20,000 in mods is so I can handle and support the max amount of horsepower. If I'm missing 3 PSI that's a whole pulley size difference.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
Well since I have hardly driven the car, and when I have I did not press the throttle all the way down ... until this past weekend on I-57

1. Repeated the test several times WOT different gears. 14 PSI, maybe 14.5 PSI max. Holds steady till redline. Both gauges, stock with overlay that reads up to 15 PSI and the autometer (so 2 sources).

2. Car doesn't pull as hard, sure seems like 14 PSI instead of 17 PSI. I remember hitting 17 PSI after the hermann tune and hanging on for dear life. Now at 14 PSI, it just feels like I am accelerating with just a 2.93 upper pulley or something.

hj16 said:
Your gauge couldve just gone AWOL

Going down from 17psi to 14psi is a big feel difference. You wouldve felt a noticeable difference till 4500-5000rpms or so. Did You? Or is all this fret from just the gauge?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info