• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Anyone use the CarChip Module?

Snowman

Large Member
Jul 20, 2005
I bought a CarChip diagnostic reader about six months ago and used it a couple of times since. I used it to see if I was leaning out with the nitrous on the Cobra and just this past week used it to help figure out what was wrong with the Ranger. Its a simple little data aquisition computer that fits in the palm of your hand and plugs into the obd II port in the car usually located under the steering wheel. It costs about 130 bux and it has already paid for itself. The problem I had with the truck didnt even throw a code but was real obvious when you stepped on the gas. The motor felt like it was missing. I checked the ignition system and found nothing so I plugged it in and looked at a few parameters. While looking at the short term fuel trim graph I could see the computer trying to compensate for a lean condition on the bank 2(driver side cyls). Putting 2+2 together I pulled the upper intake off and removed the fuel rail and injectors. Cyl #6 injector read 5.6 mega ohms vs the 14-16 ohms on the other injectors. A new injector was 84.00 but I found a brand new set of six for 108.00 on Ebay for the Flex Fuel 3.0 Motor. Took me 20 minutes to diagnose the problem and maybe 1.5 hours start to finish with the engine work. The module comes with a CD to load the software into your home computer. The software will let you reset the check engine light look at 20 different parameters 5 at a time. It can also tell you what trouble code if your check engine light comes on. The software has a trip log that shows you in graph form what your engine was doing during the trip. Also it graphs things like O2 sensor voltage and the 20 other parameters you can look at with the module. The best thing is you can use it on multiple vehicles. I highly recommend it if you like to work on your own car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Snowman
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list