• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

How do I get this Nut off?

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
Started at 9:30 am after being blocked in the driveway and having to deal with the bolts on the caliper being extremely tight i'm this far. How do i get this guy off. Does it just unscrew? Any ideas? I've done a couple brakes b4 but i've never seen a nut like that. Any help? I don't wanna mess anything up.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Sonypictures7335.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
If you are just trying to get the rotor off, you can try using some PB Blaster or WD40 on the mating surfaces to try to get it to loosen up. Then hit the rotor in between the studs [in the middle, not where it touches the brake pads] to try to shock it loose. If that doesn't work, a last resort is to use a breaker bar and socket to remove the hub nut. When I changed my front wheel bearing, I couldn't get the rotor to come loose so I removed the nut and hub and dropped the rotor and hub from about 6" in the air onto the studs to get the rotor to come loose. That worked fine. If you do it this way remember that you will need a new hub nut [one time use] and the front hub nut torque specs are 258 foot/lbs.

Edit-I put antisieze on the mating surfaces of the rotor when I reinstalled it so I don't have a problem next time.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
Like Cliff said, or spray the studs and between the rotor and hub w/ some penetrant. The sticking point is between the hub and the rotor. You can try to lightly heat it w/ a propane torch and use a rawhide malled from the rear and hit the rotor. A sledgehammer will get it off for sure and may ruin the rotor. You shouldn't have to take the nut off unless it is a last resort. If you take the nut off the hub will come off w/ the rotor.

Flyn high again said:
If you are just trying to get the rotor off, you can try using some PB Blaster or WD40 on the mating surfaces to try to get it to loosen up. Then hit the rotor in between the studs [in the middle, not where it touches the brake pads] to try to shock it loose. If that doesn't work, a last resort is to use a breaker bar and socket to remove the hub nut. When I changed my front wheel bearing, I couldn't get the rotor to come loose so I removed the nut and hub and dropped the rotor and hub from about 6" in the air onto the studs to get the rotor to come loose. That worked fine. If you do it this way remember that you will need a new hub nut [one time use] and the front hub nut torque specs are 258 foot/lbs.

Edit-I put antisieze on the mating surfaces of the rotor when I reinstalled it so I don't have a problem next time.

Attachments

• Sonypictures7335a.jpg
    Sonypictures7335a.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 8

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
Getting a stranger always helps get the nut off haha :lmao:

Name that movie

"check out my new move I call it the stranger. See what I do is sit on my hand till it goes num, no feeling at all and then i rub one out."

ok seriously. you shouldnt have to remove the crown nut to get the rotor off. try using some pb blaster to get the rotor loose and then it should pull off.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
TaintedSnake01 said:
Getting a stranger always helps get the nut off haha :lmao:

Name that movie

"check out my new move I call it the stranger. See what I do is sit on my hand till it goes num, no feeling at all and then i rub one out."

ok seriously. you shouldnt have to remove the crown nut to get the rotor off. try using some pb blaster to get the rotor loose and then it should pull off.
Gone In 60 Seconds

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
CobraChris08 said:
lol. I just got back from haivng the rotors re-surfaced. Painting the calipers will have to wait for another day. i'm done for today and boy do i need a cigarette.

If finances allow, you should really dump those rotors and buy new ones. It won't take long for the rotors to warp from heat after they have been resurfaced. Mine lasted about 6 months before the front end shaking started. I decided to spend a little money and ordered new Brembo replacement rotors from TireRack. They're currently $62 [front] and $45 [rear] dollars each. Other rotors are also available for more $$$.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Flyn high again said:
I couldn't get the rotor to come loose so I removed the nut and hub and dropped the rotor and hub from about 6" in the air onto the studs to get the rotor to come loose.

Just make sure that if you want to keep using the existing studs to put some cheap lug nuts over the thread tips so that they dont get messed up when hitting the pavement. A lot of tips are reccessed, some aren't.

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
rocket5979 said:
Just make sure that if you want to keep using the existing studs to put some cheap lug nuts over the thread tips so that they dont get messed up when hitting the pavement. A lot of tips are reccessed, some aren't.

bahh, hammer+pb blaster+ right between the studs=every time. I do this on an hourly basis, just gotta hit it right and they pop loose every time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info