• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

car not strating / cranking

02mingreyconv

Regular
Jan 31, 2005
I have been away on a business trip and now that I got home I can not get the mustang to start. I checked the battery and it looked good. The starter engages and then I loose all power.. sometimes the starter solenoid keeps on kicking but it is not cranking. I put in a brand new battery 3 months ago, so I do not think that the battery is the issue. Could it be a bad connection at the starter or even a bad starter? I tried jumper cables and it did not help... same issue

It is parked in my drive way on a slight incline. Can I 'roll start' it in reverse? Or is that a bad idea?

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
If the solenoid is throwing the gear forward (the first loud click) then just ticking you have too low of amperage. Try putting a charger on the battery for an hour and then start it. Most likely you connection was not very good with the jumper cables, put the + on your car first, then the same on the other car. then the - on yours then on the other. when you put the neg on the second car it should spark, just because they may be on the battery post does not ensure a good connection. most likey, it will start if you roll start but i would not reccomend it in reverse, it's too low of a gear. if going forward then dump it in 2nd so theres more intial torque to turn the engine over from stopped then it should kit right up.

02mingreyconv

Regular
Jan 31, 2005
cyac5l8trfcar said:
If the solenoid is throwing the gear forward (the first loud click) then just ticking you have too low of amperage. Try putting a charger on the battery for an hour and then start it. Most likely you connection was not very good with the jumper cables, put the + on your car first, then the same on the other car. then the - on yours then on the other. when you put the neg on the second car it should spark, just because they may be on the battery post does not ensure a good connection. most likey, it will start if you roll start but i would not reccomend it in reverse, it's too low of a gear. if going forward then dump it in 2nd so theres more intial torque to turn the engine over from stopped then it should kit right up.

Thats what I thought as well. I used to roll start my bike back in the days and my old cars. I'll go get a charger tomorrow so that I can see if it is the battery. Heck, I might even pull the battery from the explorer and hook that straight up. If that doesn't crank then we know that we have a problem with the starter.

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
02mingreyconv said:
Thats what I thought as well. I used to roll start my bike back in the days and my old cars. I'll go get a charger tomorrow so that I can see if it is the battery. Heck, I might even pull the battery from the explorer and hook that straight up. If that doesn't crank then we know that we have a problem with the starter.

you have a dead battery. charge it and keep an eye on it 'cause they like to loose there ability to hold a charge once fully dead.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• 02mingreyconv
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list