• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Engine Block Rebuild???

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
Hey Guys I was wondering what should I do to strengthen my block while gaining HP/TQ. I have an 01 Cobra with a few mods already done.I would like to Build the top as well as the Bottom end. What type of Rods, Pistons, Heads, Boreing etc. I was looking to see if its worth building the engine before I do any major work like Turbo or Supercharger? Will building the Engine give me a noticable gain of HP/TQ and would it be worth the time and money.

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
01SVT19 said:
Hey Guys I was wondering what should I do to strengthen my block while gaining HP/TQ. I have an 01 Cobra with a few mods already done.I would like to Build the top as well as the Bottom end. What type of Rods, Pistons, Heads, Boreing etc. I was looking to see if its worth building the engine before I do any major work like Turbo or Supercharger? Will building the Engine give me a noticable gain of HP/TQ and would it be worth the time and money.

If you are going to go the forced induction route I would suggest a good set of pistons and rods in the engine. The stock cobra crank is fordged and will hold plenty of power. The stock aluminum block will work just fine also.

On the 4V cars you only have 1 option for aftermarket heads, that is the Ford FR500 heads. I would just use your stock heads, they will make great power. Other options are the 03/04 head, Ford GT heads or 00 Cobra R heads.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
If you are looking for power gains NA on a 4V from just the motor you have few options

Option 1: Add cubes (302 stroker, 304 big bore, 324 big bore stroker)
Option 2: Up compression
Option 3: Cams
Option 4: Intake (FR500 is the shit, but is also 3K.... a worked over stocker is a much cheaper option)

I have seen as much as 460rwhp NA from a Big Bore 304 with FR500 Intake/Cams/Heads with all supporting mods.

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
hj16 said:
If you are looking for power gains NA on a 4V from just the motor you have few options

Option 1: Add cubes (302 stroker, 304 big bore, 324 big bore stroker)
Option 2: Up compression
Option 3: Cams
Option 4: Intake (FR500 is the shit, but is also 3K.... a worked over stocker is a much cheaper option)

I have seen as much as 460rwhp NA from a Big Bore 304 with FR500 Intake/Cams/Heads with all supporting mods.

If I get the 304 Big Bore,Cams, Heads, and FR500 Intake will I still be able to go with a forced induction power adder? Or that wont work.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
01SVT19 said:
If I get the 304 Big Bore,Cams, Heads, and FR500 Intake will I still be able to go with a forced induction power adder? Or that wont work.
If you were to go FI I wouldnt get the FR500 cams and Id keep compression around 9:1. You obviously wont be making 460rwhp NA with this combo, but when you add FI it'll scream. The FR500 Intake is a monster

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
hj16 said:
If you were to go FI I wouldnt get the FR500 cams and Id keep compression around 9:1. You obviously wont be making 460rwhp NA with this combo, but when you add FI it'll scream. The FR500 Intake is a monster

Ok So I should get the 304 Big Bore and get the FR500 Intake, Heads, Pistons, and forged internals and that should keep the engine safe with a FI kit? Thanks for your input

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
What's your budget?

If you spend the money to do a 305 ci bid bore...or stroker($5,000-8,000), FR500 intake($3000), heads ($1500). That is a lot of money and looking at 370-400 RWHP.

Instead you could put a good set of piston and rods in the car ($3000) total and slap a blower on it and be making 500+ RWHP and be done.

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
Shane97Cobra said:
What's your budget?

If you spend the money to do a 305 ci bid bore...or stroker($5,000-8,000), FR500 intake($3000), heads ($1500). That is a lot of money and looking at 370-400 RWHP.

Instead you could put a good set of piston and rods in the car ($3000) total and slap a blower on it and be making 500+ RWHP and be done.

The Amount will total out around $8-$9,000 and I was looking into a TT kit. I just want my mortor not to blow on me. I wanted info on how to build my engine right so I can hold that 10 to 15 psi of boost without harming anything. Thats why I had so many questions and Im still a little lost. I heard the FR500 Heads are good along with the Intake that they make, Forged internals, Pistons, I dont know what else I need to beef up so my engine wont take a dump I do appreciate all the help from you guys Thanks!

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
Second Question I was going to ask is Where is a good shop to install the kit at. Ive been talking to SpeedInc and so far they have helped a lot but so has SuttonHP and the downfall on there part is that its a further drive SpeedInc is 25 mins away. Has anyone done any work with either shop? Any compliment/complaints? Im leaning more for SpeedInc to do the work for me. Im looking to get this done over winter since I was going to store it away anyways.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
01SVT19 said:
The Amount will total out around $8-$9,000 and I was looking into a TT kit. I just want my mortor not to blow on me. I wanted info on how to build my engine right so I can hold that 10 to 15 psi of boost without harming anything. Thats why I had so many questions and Im still a little lost. I heard the FR500 Heads are good along with the Intake that they make, Forged internals, Pistons, I dont know what else I need to beef up so my engine wont take a dump I do appreciate all the help from you guys Thanks!
Oh, well if thats all you want then disregard everything Ive said. Get your stock block bored .020 over, put in some forged H-Beams and some CP Pistons. Keep your stock heads, maybe get some mild cams and have your stock intake ported. That'll hold 15psi easily... and its a HELL of alot cheaper.

Check out www.vtengines.com ...Id recommend their Cobra Sportsman Shortblock with CP Pistons. Ask them a question in their forum on our site and they'll take care of you.

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
hj16 said:
Oh, well if thats all you want then disregard everything Ive said. Get your stock block bored .020 over, put in some forged H-Beams and some CP Pistons. Keep your stock heads, maybe get some mild cams and have your stock intake ported. That'll hold 15psi easily... and its a HELL of alot cheaper.

Check out www.vtengines.com ...Id recommend their Cobra Sportsman Shortblock with CP Pistons. Ask them a question in their forum on our site and they'll take care of you.

Do I need anything else or that should do to withstand the power from the TT kit. Any Bottom End work will be needed? I looked into the CP Pistons which alot of peeps say are good. I heard to port/polish my stock heads, Will a .020 Bore be fine? Thanks for the Info.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
01SVT19 said:
Do I need anything else or that should do to withstand the power from the TT kit. Any Bottom End work will be needed? I looked into the CP Pistons which alot of peeps say are good. I heard to port/polish my stock heads, Will a .020 Bore be fine? Thanks for the Info.
Bottom End work is the Short Block FYI.

You could have VT clean up your heads as well if you'd like, just dont expect alot from it. A .020 over is just to clean up the cylinders for the rebuild, thats all you need.

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
Rotzs99 said:
I heard the 03/04 heads were really good and very close to the FR500 correct? IF you got those ported it might even be cheaper than the FRs. Just tryin to save you some money cuz i know anything from ford racing costs a lot.
I was thinking that also or just porting/polishing the current ones I have. Prolly would get more HP out of the 03/04 ones. Dont 03's have a bad batch of heads though cause i see some people say they have the shitty version like Ford made new ones the next year or something like that not sure need to find out though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info