• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Hypothetical question

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
What if someone bought a brand new 03 Cobra back in 2003 with 4 miles on the odometer, babied it for 250-500 miles, changed directly to synthetic oil at 250-500 miles and added Syncron (synthetic slick 50) at 2,000 and 3,000 miles. Would this/could this cause a major decrease in compression from lack of break-in ???????? Hypothetically speaking............

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
didn't our cars come with the 5W20 synthetic blend from the factory?

from what I remember back in the day, the reason to stay away from synthetic for X amount of miles was to let the rings seat properly.

given the fact that some factory cars come with synthetic oil off the assembly line (vette), I don' think the "wait" is needed in today's modern engines.

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
cdh027 said:
Shouldnt I be blowing blue smoke now ? The leak down test had 30% loss out of the valve covers.

If the leakdown test has air comming out of the valve covers odds are it's a valve. How did you come to the conclusion it's the bottom end? you may have skipped a tooth on your chains and kissed all the valves, that would make it run like shit and have low compression/high blow by.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
cyac5l8trfcar said:
If the leakdown test has air comming out of the valve covers odds are it's a valve. How did you come to the conclusion it's the bottom end? you may have skipped a tooth on your chains and kissed all the valves, that would make it run like shit and have low compression/high blow by.

That is incorrect. If air is coming from the cam covers, it's piston/ring damage. If air is coming out of the exhaust or intake, it's valve damage.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
another satisfied slick50 customer.... :eek:

i wouldnt hesitate to blame it on the usage of the slick50-type material. if teflon doesnt stick to a frying pan very well, what did you think pouring it into the engine would do?

never put anything into your crankcase other than motor oil. thats free advice.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
ShelbyGuy said:
another satisfied slick50 customer.... :eek:

i wouldnt hesitate to blame it on the usage of the slick50-type material. if teflon doesnt stick to a frying pan very well, what did you think pouring it into the engine would do?

never put anything into your crankcase other than motor oil. thats free advice.

My motor was running WAY lean and I didnt know it, that's what fubar'ed my pistons/rings. Slick 50 is snake oil and didnt do shit to the motor. I was just throwing that out there because I was in denial. New VT built-to-shit motor is in my future.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info