• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Glad to see new SVT friends..!

Jul 7, 2006
Hey everyone! I recently picked up my 2003 Sonic Blue L from Wickstrom Ford in Barrington! It has about 14k miles on it. I'm also a member over on SVTP but I wanted to be on a local board too. Just a few questions if anyone can answer them? I will be running the following and want to know if my engine/tranny life will be okay..? I use my L as my DD, about 10-20 miles a day.
-6# Lower Pulley
-JLP CAI
-Accufab Throttle Body
-Cobra R Water Pump
-FTVB W/4X4 Pan/Filter
-160* Thermostat
-SCT Chip/Dyno Tune by LS1 Speed in Schaumburg

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated! Once again nice to meet all of you! Hope to meet up and cruise sometime! BTW here are some half assed pictures I took a few days ago!

B

Boost12

Stock lighting motors with 6lb lowers are ticking timb bombs in my opinion. I have had 3 friends blow there trucks up and all of them had " Good safe tunes " And were not beat on all the time. The pistons are weak in lightings and the Rods are not much better. I would stick with a 4lb lower or even a 2lb just to be safe :biggthump Welcome to the board though

Jul 7, 2006
VenomInside said:
It was good fun, nothing bad to say about wickstrom. They took care of me even w/ my mods.

Thats good to know... I wasn't planning on modding my L, so I took out the extended warranty with them... But then I hopped on the forums and started cruising with others and the mod bug bit me! So hopefully if anything goes wrong they will be cool..

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
SonicBlueDevil said:
Thats good to know... I wasn't planning on modding my L, so I took out the extended warranty with them... But then I hopped on the forums and started cruising with others and the mod bug bit me! So hopefully if anything goes wrong they will be cool..

They should be cool. They never complained when i went there.

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
Dont do the 6lb lower, stick with the 4. Trust me, I speak from experience.

Attachments

• 510955.jpg
    510955.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 24

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
SonicBlueDevil said:
I really think it's all in the tune... I know tons of Lightning owners that have ran a 6# Lower with a canned tune for years and never had a problem. But I appreciate the input guys! Thanks!

Not necessarily...
That photo above is the end result of the first time I floored it after the pulley and tune. There was no detonation, the truck was running awesome until 120 then BOOM!

The connecting rods in these engines are really skinny and are easy to twist and bend under a load. The more pressure you put in the cylinder the more twisting and bending they will do. See the pics below to compare the Lightning rod to a rod from a 4.0 ohv Explorer engine that puts out 160 hp versus the Lightning's 380.

Like Boost12 said they are ticking time bombs. Some just keep ticking and never blow up, some do...

Attachments

• rod.jpg
    rod.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 26
  • rod1.jpg
    rod1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 128

Wiked L

Wiked03's Bitch
Apr 1, 2004
SonicBlueDevil said:
I really think it's all in the tune... I know tons of Lightning owners that have ran a 6# Lower with a canned tune for years and never had a problem. But I appreciate the input guys! Thanks!

I agree. It's all about the tune. And I would watch your high speed runs. Good luck with the Mods. I'm planning to do a pulley too, haven't decided on the 4 or 6 yet. Just keep checking your tune and you should be fine. No matter what you do something can and will always break so no guarantees. Speed Inc with do you good. If you want another good lightning site to check out make sure you go to www.nloc.net. They have a good lightning tech section.

03lightning

boot scootin boogey
Jul 1, 2005
generally the motor and trans are gonna be good up to about 500 hp ive had a 6lb on mine for a long time and it was fine and besides even if you do blow your motor u can get new internals for a 1000$ then do the install yourself or have some of us help im sure there are plenty of people on here who would help for beer. listen to what the other people said though IMHO a 6 will be fine just watch the rolling launches and high speed runs and you should be fine congrats on gettin the best truck available

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info