• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

My rear end is leaking

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
nytebyte said:
About a month ago when I got back from the SVTOA Autobahn event, I noticed that my diff cover is leaking.

It's strange, because I never have done any hard launches.

Do you think it's worth putting on a diff cover brace even though I don't drag race the car?

Well worth it.... Even spirited acceleration can be enough to break that cover.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
nytebyte said:
About a month ago when I got back from the SVTOA Autobahn event, I noticed that my diff cover is leaking.

It's strange, because I never have done any hard launches.

Do you think it's worth putting on a diff cover brace even though I don't drag race the car?

Mine is leaking too. I cleaned up all the gasket material off of the old cover using a sandblaster, used the best high temp - flexible RTV I could get, have my diff solidly mounted w/ aluminum bushings front and back and have a diff brace. I still leak, even with all those precautions. Our diff covers are just too thin. :crying:

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
take off cat-back - should take about 10 minutes total
remove driveshaft bolts from pinion flange - 5 minutes
leave driveshaft in the transmission, just zip tie it up and out of the way
remove axles with knuckles attached - at most 10 minutes per side
remove 00R pinion crossmember if equipped - 15 minutes
remove the two bolts holding the rear of the diff - 5 minutes

badda bing, badda boom.

RD SNAKE said:
mine is leaking too. If i droped my rear shocks off the irs and took out the rear IRS bolts and lowered the whole irs ass. down. do you guys think i would have enought room to remove the diff cover.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
take off cat-back - should take about 10 minutes total
remove driveshaft bolts from pinion flange - 5 minutes
leave driveshaft in the transmission, just zip tie it up and out of the way
remove axles with knuckles attached - at most 10 minutes per side
remove 00R pinion crossmember if equipped - 15 minutes
remove the two bolts holding the rear of the diff - 5 minutes

badda bing, badda boom.

You make it sound simple, but...

Remove Rear Wheels +2 minutes/side
Remove Rear Caliper +4 minutes/side
Remove Caliper Bracket +4 minutes/side
Remove ABS Sensors +2 minutes/side

And remove axles with knuckles attached - at most 10 minutes per side :dunno: YOu make it sound easy, but that ebrake cable is going through the knuckle and is a PITA, especially on assembly w/ that spring.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
?? i included that in the time. if it takes you longer than 2 minutes to remove a bolt you're talking to someone instead of working or something. heck im slow and i can remove three bolts in 10 minutes.

why would you remove the caliper bracket? leave the bracket and the rotor on the knuckle and just slide the whole thing out. maybe thats why it takes you longer - you're taking things apart you dont need to :D

i dont know why people have such trouble with the e-brake cable. :dunno: i use two hands - i grab the cable end with pliers, and with my pry bar, i lever it using the caliper as a fulcrum and pull the cable end onto the e-brake cam.

ok i forgot about the abs sensors, my bad. so add four minutes.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
?? i included that in the time. if it takes you longer than 2 minutes to remove a bolt you're talking to someone instead of working or something. heck im slow and i can remove three bolts in 10 minutes.

why would you remove the caliper bracket? leave the bracket and the rotor on the knuckle and just slide the whole thing out. maybe thats why it takes you longer - you're taking things apart you dont need to :D

i dont know why people have such trouble with the e-brake cable. :dunno: i use two hands - i grab the cable end with pliers, and with my pry bar, i lever it using the caliper as a fulcrum and pull the cable end onto the e-brake cam.

ok i forgot about the abs sensors, my bad. so add four minutes.

Ok, I'll add up your times, calculate your hourly rate, and pay you to do it... :D :biggthump :)

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
hardest part of this job for me is always the driveshaft bolts. ive bent more wrenches trying to get those loose than any other part on a mustang i swear.

mark w. says 90 minutes to r&r the center chunk in the paddock area at a track, and it took me only slightly longer on my back on the gravel in the alley. aside from the driveshaft, figuring out which way to wiggle the 00r crossmember out took a few minutes too. roll it towards the back of the car and slide it to the side in order to get it out.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I'm still working up the courage to do this.

You guys are scaring me!! :D

Don't forget about the time required to put it all back together.

I took a peek at it yesterday and it doesn't seem to be leaking all that badly. Not sure if it's worth the trouble just yet.

Oh, and thanks for the shop manual pages!

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
mark w. says 90 minutes to r&r the center chunk in the paddock area at a track.

I swear it took me 9 hours both times I did it. I guess I work really slow.

Mark Wilson doesn't use the #4 crossmember. I know I fucked around w/ those shims for over an hour trying to get that last one in. So I spent over an hour on one shim for a part that he doesn't have.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
almost makes ya want spacers like the bump steer kits have....

it is a bit of a pain in the butt to keep the spacers from squirming and keep the shim stack together when putting it all back together. i'll definately grant you that.

thats one thing about my car - its never really fought me on anything. anyone who pulls their own wrenches has had those small jobs that turned into long drawn out soap operas, but so far this car has been good to me in that respect. better than any other i've owned.

Whitey04

Regular
Apr 2, 2006
Mystic Terminator said:
I swear it took me 9 hours both times I did it. I guess I work really slow.

AMEN Brother I did the diff bushings and diff plate and it took me like 8 hours. If I had to do it again I could be much faster and next time I'm going to drop the whole IRS instead of tearing it apart in chassis. What a pain in the ass. The whole diff had to come out for one bushing.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
nytebyte said:
Here's another question:

While I've got the whole thing apart, what else should I do?

Already doing the cover brace.

Bushings?
14mm bolts?

Is it your daily driver or will it be a dedicated track car soon? I would go cheap and only do the cover brace, 14mm bolts and MM urethane rear swaybar bushings.

Later, after you tracked the car a lot and needed to, I would do:

Bruce's UHMW or SHM Aluminum IRS Cradle Bushings
Either Bruce's or MM Delrin Lower Control Arm Bushings
Either Bruce's or MM Delrin Upper Control Arm Bushings
Either Bruce's or MM Differential Bushings
MM Adjustable Tie Rod Ends (If you are going to bumpsteer)
MM Rear Swaybar Endlinks
MM Urethane Rear Swaybar Bushings (If Needed Again)
Diff Cooler
T2R
3.90 or 4.10 depending on the tracks you drive on and your HP
MM Coilover or upgraded Springs and Shocks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info