• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Moan from front wheel?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
A little background:

I hit a hidden pothole on Harlem which didn't seem to cause any damage other than bottoming out the shock. A week later, my belts broke on the passenger side front tire at 100 mph. A 6' piece of steel belt whapped around the wheel well while I was slowing and eventually wrapped itself around the control arm. I pulled the wheel off and replaced it and the tire. No obvious damage to the brakes, lines, control arm, or wheel well.

I have since developed a moan that comes from the wheel at approx. 1-2 mph. Especially after driving a while and then stopping at a stop sign or stop light. I'm thinking wheel bearing or sticking caliper. I do have some minor shaking in the steering wheel that I don't know if it's related to the problem or not. If I step on the brake the sound stops. Anyone have any suggestions how to diagnose or which part I should replace first? Thanks in advance...

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
Yep, sounds like that pothole probably damaged your wheel bearing. Make sure the tie rod end and inner tie rod aren't damaged either, grab the tire and go side-to-side with it to check for play in them. If the tie rod got a little bent, that would cause a vibration too.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
moan is usally a wheel bearing while driving the moan should increase in sound while increaseing in speed. Move the tire left to right (this checks tie rod ends). Move the tire up and down (this checks ball joints). But over all it seems like a wheel bearing. Hope this helps.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I had to work most of the night last night so I'll try to jack the car up tonight if I get to it. I have a proposal to write and a brochure to put together and it's already 5 P.M. :rolleyes:

Not to mention that it is Draft Day for the Bulls. Who will they pick? My bet is on either a power forward or some stunningly clever trade by Paxson.

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
Flyn high again said:
Not to mention that it is Draft Day for the Bulls. Who will they pick? My bet is on either a power forward or some stunningly clever trade by Paxson.

If than can get Minnesota to bite, I say they trade their 1st round pick (2nd overall thanks to the Eddie Curry trade) and Tyson Chandler for Kevin Garnett. They still have the 16th pick in the 1st round to pick up some college talent to try to develop and $20M to spend on free agents.
I just hope Pax doesn't fuck up again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info