• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Burning smell???

cobraj

TCG Elite Member
Feb 7, 2005
I dropped the clutch at about 4K and did my first burnout today. Theres a burning smell coming from under the hood now. Im assuming its just the clutch. The car just turned 3,000 miles couple days ago. Its not driving any different either. I cant imagine I could have done any damage to it being the first time. Any thoughts??? And no flaming for the first burnout, I hate beating on my stuff for reasons such as this.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
cobraj said:
Does it cause any damage. The car has only 3k on it and I see guys doing that stuff all the time with a lot more miles on their car/clutch.

I was buzzed and did a burnout and ruined my clutch. All it takes is one done the wrong way. After that I went 10 miles and slipped so much until it wouldn't drive @ all. Slipped it one second, IF THAT!

Get a line-loc and you wont have to worry. .02

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Why in the world would you drop the clutch at 4000 RPM's? No Flame here, BUT, these cars will fry Viper Tires from 2500RPM's like nothing in bone stock form.

It is "HOW" you do it, NOT "IF" you do it. You can smoke your tires to your hearts content as long as no matter what you do the clutch is engaged immediatley when you do it.

The only time to slip a clutch is at the drag strip due to our IRS. Even there you can do it in a manner that will be effective and NOT prematurely wear out your clutch, however, it always adds to the wear and tear. It just depends on how much you slip and from what RPM's you start.

I'm sure your clutch is fine, but you should bring that car over to my house for some tire shredding lessons and I'll take you for a ride in my car and then you can learn how it's done. 4000 RPM's is for the Drag Strip with Drag radials and a nice sticky track. My car will give you a sore neck after about 5 of those on any given day, but it is hard on a clutch, not deadly, just hard.

I swear it's all in how ya do it. I can't tell you how many times a babied car get's trashed by inexperienced users on the first time they finnaly decide to GO FOR IT! To bad you didn't have a couple of Mustangs before this one, ( I'm guessing here ). Then you would be well versed on how easy it is to spin tires.

Let me know if you want some lessons....I just happen to have some street tires that are worthless and need to be FRIED!

cobraj

TCG Elite Member
Feb 7, 2005
Since 1964 said:
Why in the world would you drop the clutch at 4000 RPM's? No Flame here, BUT, these cars will fry Viper Tires from 2500RPM's like nothing in bone stock form.

It is "HOW" you do it, NOT "IF" you do it. You can smoke your tires to your hearts content as long as no matter what you do the clutch is engaged immediatley when you do it.

The only time to slip a clutch is at the drag strip due to our IRS. Even there you can do it in a manner that will be effective and NOT prematurely wear out your clutch, however, it always adds to the wear and tear. It just depends on how much you slip and from what RPM's you start.

I'm sure your clutch is fine, but you should bring that car over to my house for some tire shredding lessons and I'll take you for a ride in my car and then you can learn how it's done. 4000 RPM's is for the Drag Strip with Drag radials and a nice sticky track. My car will give you a sore neck after about 5 of those on any given day, but it is hard on a clutch, not deadly, just hard.

I swear it's all in how ya do it. I can't tell you how many times a babied car get's trashed by inexperienced users on the first time they finnaly decide to GO FOR IT! To bad you didn't have a couple of Mustangs before this one, ( I'm guessing here ). Then you would be well versed on how easy it is to spin tires.

Let me know if you want some lessons....I just happen to have some street tires that are worthless and need to be FRIED!

Actually second mustang and the first one had more power. And def not the first burnout. I worked at a chevy dealer when I was in college and the C5 came out at that time. :gears: :gears: That was where I learned how. Just happened to be the first time I dropped the clutch in this particular vehicle. Ive spun the tires in this car several times not dropping the clutch at all. Thanks for the advice though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info