• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Anyone here with the FR500 catback + X pipe

CobraCommander

Rice & Beans
Mar 27, 2005
I have been researching new catbacks and was looking into the FR500. I like the valved aspect of it, but I would hate to go super quiet...

I have magnapacks right now and they are really loud at WOT.. The sound is pretty nice, but midrange and some low-end sounds are farty and annoying...

the drone doesnt bother me, but its there...

I am looking at the Borla 14858 and the Steeda counterpart once I find out for sure they are the same animal (ill get steeda instead), however, I do like the thought of the Mac Pro-Chamber and FR500 combo..

I would love to hear this somewhere and the linky is dead... Anyone want to chime in about any of the systems I've mentioned above?

My friend Pete has a Mach with chambered American Thunders and suggested since I like his tone/depth (and lack of perculator burble) that I look into chambered setups...

Any thoughts?

CobraCommander

Rice & Beans
Mar 27, 2005
Yeah, I'm a big advocate for the search function when posing questions that might have been asked before and decided to inquire as to the outcome of this thread as well as a possible hookup with someone who might still utilize the FR500...

I am leaning more toward the Borla chamber, but I like to beat down all aspects first...

Especially when I will be "growing into" the possibility of headers/midpipe and dont want to end up in a "too loud" situation again.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
The FR500 catback apparently is just like the stock mufflers but with valves. Supposedly they rob horsepower.

My honest opinion, if you want something that's not as loud as a Borla/Steeda but still sounds good, go with a Bassani. You can always put the baffles in to quiet it down, and take them out when you want. Bassani headers + bassani X pipe w/cats + bassani catback sounds great. I was admiring Litespeeds over the weekend, how DEEP it sounds (no headers just bass. x + catback) with hardly any rasp, and it's much quieter in his car than mine.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I am running the FR500 catback + x-pipe on my car and I think it sounds pretty good.

Like you, I didn't want to go with anything too loud either, but I still wanted a better sound and the performance gains of an aftermarket cat-back.

The FR500 is quite a bit louder than stock, but not obnoxious or annoying. When driving around town or on the highway when the valves are closed, the sound is very good, but low key. There is also very little drone from the FR500.

When you get on it and the valves open up, it gets much louder and sounds awesome.

Also, the FR500's valved mufflers DO NOT rob horsepower. On the contrary, their dual-mode design actually helps maintain low end torque and frees up horsepower on the high end. All dyno tests I've seen with the FR500 on a stock Terminator show a 25 to 30 rwhp horsepower gain.

I made a new link to the audio file with the Cobra and FR500. Everything is stock except for the FR500 catback.

FR500 catback

Here is a link to an article where they test the FR500 on a 2001 Cobra:
FR500 review on 2001 Cobra

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
nytebyte said:
I am running the FR500 catback + x-pipe on my car and I think it sounds pretty good.

Like you, I didn't want to go with anything too loud either, but I still wanted a better sound and the performance gains of an aftermarket cat-back.

The FR500 is quite a bit louder than stock, but not obnoxious or annoying. When driving around town or on the highway when the valves are closed, the sound is very good, but low key. There is also very little drone from the FR500.

When you get on it and the valves open up, it gets much louder and sounds awesome.

Also, the FR500's valved mufflers DO NOT rob horsepower. On the contrary, their dual-mode design actually helps maintain low end torque and frees up horsepower on the high end. All dyno tests I've seen with the FR500 on a stock Terminator show a 25 to 30 rwhp horsepower gain.

I made a new link to the audio file with the Cobra and FR500. Everything is stock except for the FR500 catback.

FR500 catback

Here is a link to an article where they test the FR500 on a 2001 Cobra:
FR500 review on 2001 Cobra

I never thought the FR500 was as cool of a sound until I got a 4:10 gear and NOW I really like it. I also have the Mac Off Road Pro-Chamber mid pipe which really compliments it. I just love to move around in the driveway and hear the sounds as the RPM's go real low and back up again, it's almost like a crispy big block.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info