• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Is it common for Hawk HPS pads to squeal/squeek?

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
I did my front brakes a while ago and they've been fine, until lately. I have StopTech slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads. Now the car has lately been squealing upon light brake pressure and it feels as the car will not stop as quickly as it should from higher speeds....any suggestions? Also, the car has sat for longer than I have been driving it. What do ya'll think??

-Mike

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Under very light braking and a noise is heard usual that means the rotors have a slight warp in them...Double check this...while going 45mph or so step on the brake firmly and if you feel any pluseations in eaither the brake pedal or steering wheel the rotors are wraped.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
RD SNAKE said:
Under very light braking and a noise is heard usual that means the rotors have a slight warp in them...Double check this...while going 45mph or so step on the brake firmly and if you feel any pluseations in eaither the brake pedal or steering wheel the rotors are wraped.

Temperature of the rotors/pads and pad/rotor materials can make them squeal, too. For instance, you wouldn't want to run racing pads on the street because they need higher temps to work properly. Racing pads would stop poorly and make big noise during normal street driving conditions.

Pads like the Hawk pads are made to stop the car under performance driving conditions without as much regard to keeping them quiet unlike stock pads which are made to stop the car while not squealing. You pay for the extra performance with a little extra noise.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Flyn high again said:
Temperature of the rotors/pads and pad/rotor materials can make them squeal, too. For instance, you wouldn't want to run racing pads on the street because they need higher temps to work properly. Racing pads would stop poorly and make big noise during normal street driving conditions.

Pads like the Hawk pads are made to stop the car under performance driving conditions without as much regard to keeping them quiet unlike stock pads which are made to stop the car while not squealing. You pay for the extra performance with a little extra noise.

+1...some "racing" pads do make more noise then stocker :clap:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info